Casitas de Gila Guesthouses
If you are looking for a quiet and peaceful stay in the beautiful high desert terrain of Southwestern New Mexico, the Stress-Free Zone of Casitas de Gila Guesthouses & Nature Preserve is for you! Set on 265 acres overlooking Bear Creek and the Gila Wilderness, about a half-hour from Silver City, these 5 casitas (Spanish for "little houses") offer the epitome of Southwestern style. The guesthouses are beautifully decorated with Mexican furniture and rugs. Each has a full kitchen, a living room with seasonal kiva fireplace, a small porch with a chimenea, and a barbecue grill. On hand is an outdoor hot tub with a view of the creek, canyon, and sky. There's an adobe art gallery featuring oil paintings and handcrafted jewelry by the owners, as well as work by other area artists.
A Sunset Magazine Top 10 Weekend Getaway
One of Fodor's 239 Places to Escape to Nature
Each Casita has a library of books on the area. There are spotting scopes in each Casita, for viewing birds and wildlife by day or studying the moon and stars in the clear, dark night skies. Hike one of our 11 marked trails, totaling over 6 miles of hiking and walking. Learn about the local plants, trees and rocks when you walk our self-guided nature trail. Pan for gold in Bear Creek. Or just spend the afternoon in a hammock under the cottonwood trees. The Adobe Art Gallery features Michael's oil painting and Becky's handcrafted turquoise jewelry, as well as the work of other local artists.
When you're ready to venture out, the area offers plenty of wonderful hiking for every ability level. Southwestern New Mexico offers excellent bird watching. Visit the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument. Hike the Catwalk Nature Trail in Glenwood. Wander around Mogollon Ghost Town and imagine what it was like living there 100 years ago! Visit Silver City's art galleries and two wonderful museums.
- Continental Breakfast is included for the first four nights. This includes baked sweetbreads, yogurt, english muffins, bagels, cereals, 2% milk, orange juice, coffee, tea. (If you prefer a different milk, just give us at least a week's notice and we'll get it for you.)
- Kitchens are stocked with condiments (salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard, spices, butter, jam, etc.), charcoal, charcoal starter, sodas… this is included in the nightly rate!
- All our kitchens are full kitchens, with a range/oven, microwave, refrigerator/freezer, coffeemaker, toaster, dishes, glassware, cutlery, pots and pans … they're as well equipped as your kitchen at home!
- Each Casita has a picnic table and charcoal bbq grill. We also have 2 gas grills available (shared by the Casitas closest to them).
- Free WIFI in each Casita.
- Each Casita has a kiva fireplace inside (seasonal), a chimenea outside, and a supply of firewood.
- Linens, towels, bath supplies, bathrobes, hair dryers, clock radios.
- Outdoor hot tub (shared by the 5 Casitas) (12 years of age or older only).
- Telephone in each Casita (your cell phone will not work at the Casita, but you can use Skype!).
- Over 6 miles of hiking trails, including a Self-guided Nature Trail, and access to Bear Creek.
- Library of information on Southwestern New Mexico, its culture, history, activities, and attractions.
- Spotting scope and star charts in each Casita.
New Mexico Bed & Breakfast Assn.
New Mexico Lodging Assn.
Silver City/Grant County Chamber of Commerce
Silver City Arts & Cultural District
Professional Association of Innkeepers International