Table Of Contents
The Mason Cottage is a lovely country Victorian Bed & Breakfast located in the historic town of Cape May, New Jersey. Our Cape May NJ Bed and Breakfast is OPEN ALL YEAR and just one block from the beach and promenade and 2 blocks from many fine shops and intimate restaurants.
Built in 1871 as a private summer residence for Edward A. Warne, a wealthy Philadelphia entrepreneur, the Mason Cottage is the perfect getaway for guests who appreciate the peaceful and charming lifestyle of a by-gone era. The Mason Cottage is endowed with lofty ceilings, full-length windows and a sweeping veranda, all so characteristic of Victorian homes of the period.
- A full gourmet breakfast
- 24-Hour access to our gourmet coffee bar
- Afternoon refreshments served daily from 3 to 4 p.m.
- Use of all common areas, including dining room, parlor and Veranda
- Beach towels, beach chairs and bicycles (available in warmer months)
- Outdoor shower and dressing room
- Daily housekeeping
- Luggage storage
There are nine lovely antique appointed rooms/suites to choose from, each with private en-suite baths, large flat screen TV's, wireless Bluetooth FM radio/alarm clocks, hair-dryers, individually controlled AC/Heating and luxurious Turkish cotton robes. Most suites offer a Jacuzzi tub, fireplace, and mini-refrigerator.
The Mason Cottage is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Purchased in 1940 by the Mason Family, it was not long after that Wilber Davis Mason, Sr. opened his home as a guesthouse to weary travelers. The current owners acquired the home in early 2009 and have lovingly renovated their Cape May Bed and Breakfast blending history with modern sensibility.
The same charm and friendly atmosphere created in the last 60 years of guest operations continues today in full force, with some new modern touches we hope you'll enjoy, such as:
- Victorian period gas fireplace in parlor
- WiFi throughout the Inn
- Guest computer with Internet (in parlor)
- Guest ice machine, refrigerator and microwave
- 24-hour gourmet coffee bar
- Bikes, beach towels and beach chairs available free of charge
- DVD player available upon request
- Lovely Victorian gardens throughout the property
Breakfast, Afternoon Tea and Dinner at The Mason Cottage
Breakfast is always a delight at our Cape May Inn. From delectable fresh baked goods and breads to delicious breakfast dishes, we offer something for every taste. Breakfast is served at 9:00 a.m. daily. You are welcome to enjoy your morning meal in our beautiful dining room or on the veranda. A typical breakfast may include:
- Coffee and tea, along with an assortment of fruit juices
- Fresh baked muffins, bread, scones or coffeecake
- Fresh seasonal fruit
- A hot entree such as a hearty breakfast casseroles, pancakes or French toast
- Delicious and healthy steel-cut oats with fresh berries, honey and cream
- Breakfast meats and potatoes
Afternoon tea is included in the room rate and is available to all guests from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM daily. Depending on the weather, tea is served in our parlor or outside on the veranda. Tea treats range from sweet to savory and may include:
- Hot tea and/or iced mint tea
- Seasonal drinks such as fresh lemonade
- An assortment of delicious homemade desserts
- Hand-dipped chocolate fruit or cookies
- Assorted cheese & fresh fruit
Our "Chocolate Decadence" is sure to please. Every October through March, everything's chocolate at tea-time. From an assortment of chocolate teas to chocolate dipped fruit, cookies and tempting chocolate desserts. This is chocolate decadence at its finest.
We hope that you save room for dinner after tea-time, as Cape May is filled with many wonderful restaurants. If you need reservations for evening dining, simply look over our supply of menus in the parlor or ask the innkeeper for assistance with recommendations or reservations.
Here are some gracious comments from our guests. They've given us permission to provide their words here. Thank you to everyone who's stayed with us and especially those who've taken the time to tell us about their experiences!
"We had the best time here! It was so wonderful being here in Cape May with all of you. We would wish you luck, but we figure you wouldn't need it. The breakfast was great every morning! We wondered how it could be that great every day.
Thank you for everything! We can't wait to come back and visit again!"
- Love, Sarah and Maggie in "The Rose Room", Virginia and Indiana
"We enjoyed our stay more than you will know. Our room was cozy and had everything we needed. We felt like we were staying with relatives. We've stayed at a few other places in Cape May and your's is our favorite. You have a great view from the porch, our room was quiet and the breakfasts were fantastic! Gourmet quality and served on the porch, we were in heaven.
Thank you very much for treating us so well!" - Joaquin and Rebecca, Titusville, NJ
"Wonderful!! We are in love! Everything was great. Your home is lovely. Your cooking is wonderful.
Don't change a thing!" - Laura and Lee, Newtown Square, PA
"Everything was great! The breakfast each morning was delicious. The location of your B&B is ideal for anyone who wants to explore Cape May. We will be back during the Christmas holiday.
We cannot wait to come back! Thank you!!" - John and Kathy, Glen Cove, NY
"We enjoyed our stay. This was our first time and Cape May and your suggestions for things to do where enjoyable.
All of the rooms were decorated so tastefully and thanks for your private tour.
The variety of breakfast was beyond what we were expecting. Your friendliness and hospitality were appreciated.
We will be recommending you to family and friends." - The Brands, Long Valley, NJ
"Today is our 33rd wedding anniversary and our first bed and breakfast experience. We've enjoyed both! We were welcomed with a very nice afternoon tea. The suite was wonderful. With the wind outside, the fireplace was a welcome treat in the evening. Breakfast was first class! We really enjoyed our anniversary getaway. Thanks for making our anniversary a memorable day!"
- Ray and Sandie, Turnersville, NJ
"This was our first time at the Mason Cottage and it won't be the last! We have got to other B&Bs and this one was different because we felt like we were visiting with very friendly and warm folks. Thanks for making us feel so comfortable. We will pass on our feelings to anyone who will listen and will highly recommend your lovely B&B to everyone we know!
See you again soon!!" - John and Maryellen, Lake Hiawatha, NJ
"Everything here was absolutely great. The food, service and hospitality is what will make our first time here become many more! Never having stayed at a B&B before, we didn't know what to expect, but I can tell you we won't be going to any other B&B
next time we're down. Thank you again!" - Mike, Manasquan, NJ
"My daughter and I enjoyed a couple of days at The Mason Cottage and WE LOVED IT! The rooms are beautiful and the special touches are great. It was so nice to be able to sit on the porch and see the ocean line and be only one block away from the water, the malls and the restaurants. You can park your car and walk everywhere! Another really great thing is
what a fabulous breakfast! Looking forward to coming back!" - Rita, Traffard, PA
How To Find Us
From the Parkway
- Travel south on the parkway to the end (Exit Zero).
- Continue straight over the canal bridge past The Lobster House Restaurant sign, and over a smaller bridge into Cape May
- Stay on Lafayette Street
- Again, travel straight stay in the right lane
- Continue to the traffic light
- Turn left onto Madison Avenue
- Travel on Madison Avenue, through one traffic light, for approximately two blocks
- Turn right onto Columbia Avenue at the blue water tower
- Continue for approximately three blocks to The Mason Cottage, located on the right, opposite the Cape May Baptist Church
From the Ferry
- Follow Sandman Blvd. to the second traffic light
- Turn right onto Seashore Road follow this to the end
- (Beach Ave) make a left
- Follow down Beach Ave
- Gurney Street make a left
- At that stop sign we will be located right in front of you
Like many B&B's in Cape May, there is no on-site parking at the Mason Cottage, but there is always street parking available. While it may be more difficult to find a parking spot during holidays and summer months, once you find a parking spot, leave your car there, as Cape May was made for walking. The Mason Cottage is one block from the beach and promenade and a block and half from the fine shops on Washington Street Mall.