There are many many cultural, educational and recreational activities available in this richly-endowed pocket of New England. Murray and Karen are happy to help you find entertainments to your liking.
231 Dogford Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
Our warm and welcoming country home, 231 Dogford, is nestled on a New England hillside, amidst woods, meadows and gardens. 6 miles from Hanover and Dartmouth College, 2 miles from the Connecticut River public docks, and 10 miles from the Dartmouth Skiway, it offers many cultural and recreational opportunities, or can just be a place to relax and unwind.
Your hosts, Murray and Karen Washburn (founders and former owners of Peter Christian's Taverns), anticipate sharing this very special place with you.
The available suite includes a Queen-size Master bedroom, a Double-size bedroom, a sitting room with DVD player and bathroom.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Murray and Karen Washburn for sharing their own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Personal attention, reputation/referral, relax & unwind. Parents of students and alums attend events at Dartmouth College, Cardigan Mtn School & Kimball Union Academy.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
It's a true B&B; it's been our home for 40 years. We take only one couple or family at a time, yields privacy, country setting, yet minutes from Dartmouth College.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
Dartmouth College & its amenities.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
“like coming home”
“felt like a part of your family”
“you're like old friends”
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
231 Dogford B&B!! Also canoeing & kayaking on the Connecticut River.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
Daytrips up to Burlington, Vt; over to Woodstock, Vt. The Montshire Museum - a gem! A play at Shaker Bridge Theatre. Rails-to-Trails bike paths. 4-Aces Diner for breakfast.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
Mountain Biking & X-Country trails right out our door.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
'ELIXER', White River Jct, Vt. (20 min from B&B.)
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference? How many rooms does your inn have?
One private suite with 2 Bdrms & Sitting Room. The entire house is available for guests & family - Living room & Dining room w/fireplaces, sunporch, screened-in porch, substantial gardens and hillside lawn area looking West over the Connecticut River to Vermont and Green Mountains.
Do you accept pets?
Most Dogs. There is a terrific dog & cat spa, daycare & boarding just 10 min from us.
To celebrate the peace and quiet of our hillside retreat, we offer only one booking at a time. We invite our guests to enjoy our home as their own. Have a steaming cup of tea and read a good book by a glowing fire, contemplate the sun setting over the Vermont hills from our screened porch, wonder at the vibrant fall foliage from a meadow perch, snow-shoe to the top of Lord's Hill and revel in a 180° view of rolling hills.
Things To Do
- Downhill skiing at Dartmouth Skiway.
- Mountain-bike trails from our door.
- Cross-country skiing and sledding at Hanover Country Club.
- Skating on Occom Pond
- Hiking on the Appalachian Trail, Hanover town trails, top of Lord's Hill with 180° views.
- Bicycling on the Northern Rail Trail and back roads.
- Dartmouth College's many sporting events.
- Canoeing and kayaking on the Connecticut River.
- Swimming at Storrs Pond Recreation Area.
- Tennis at Storrs Pond.
- Play golf at Hanover Country Club, Carter Country Club in Lebanon, Bradford Golf Club or the Quechee Club.
- Hopkins Center at Dartmouth College.
- Hood Museum at Dartmouth.
- Northern Stage Theater in White River Junction.
- Opera North in Lebanon.
- Tupelo Music Hall in White River Junction
- The Upper Valley offers substantial and attractive choices for dining. Karen & Murray will make appropriate recommendations.
- Look at: www.uppervalleynightout.com/restaurants