The Maria Atwood Inn
Table Of Contents
Surrounded by lush green trees & shrubbery, lies the Maria Atwood Inn in Franklin, New Hampshire. Named after the gracious lady who owned and occupied the home at the turn of the century, the Inn and its owners would like to invite you to sample the old fashioned hospitality, the taste tempting breakfasts, and the charming, attractive accommodations.
You will be taken back into a different time by the allure and mystique of this house, every step in the restoration of this classic brick Federal Colonial home carefully preserved its original features while providing modern comforts. The original romantic appeal and character of this home has remained through such classic features as its Rumford fireplaces, interior Indian Shutters, vintage turnkey locks and Christian doors.
Nestled in the heart of the "Lakes Region", the Maria Atwood Inn is conveniently located for an assortment of activities. Whatever your preference - be it skiing, snowmobiling, golf, tennis, hiking, swimming, hunting, fishing, bicycling or boating; all are obtainable within a half-hour ride or less. The area is also dotted with various antique shops, scenic viewing, historic sites, summer theater, old-fashioned county fairs and more. Sandi's favorite spot is Keepsake Quilting in Center Harbor.
The cozy living room provides a comfortable gathering place for guests to get acquainted. When the mountain air gets nippy, you can warm up in front of a blazing fire. Each of the seven guest accommodations has its own unique characteristics. Every room has a private bath and four contain working fireplaces.
The library provides a congenial setting every morning for a full, bountiful breakfast. In the afternoon, come back to the living room to enjoy tasty snacks.
Sandi and Fred invite you to experience as one guest put it "a wonderful step back in time to a more relaxed and familiar way of living."
Our Inn is packed to the brim with vey nice amenities.
- A full breakfast is served Daily at 8 or 9AM
- Smoke-Free indoors environment
- RV or trailer parking
- Air Conditioned Rooms
- Functioning Fireplaces in some rooms
- FREE Wireless Internet
- Complimentary Beverages
- Outdoor Gas Cooking Grill
- ESPN & Cable TV Movie Channels in Sitting Room
- Free Long Distance Calls to USA and Europe
- Seating on Rear Deck to enjoy trees and nature
- Outdoor Fire Pit
- Microwave Oven
- Keurig Hot Beverage Machine
- Books, Magazines, Board Games
- Iron and Ironing Board
- Expert Local Guide Tips
- Ceiling Fans
- BEST Scones in NH hands down
- Beverages of your choice
- Baked item such as scones or muffins
- Egg dish or pancakes
- French toast or perhaps a surprise
You could spend a lifetime here in New Hampshire and possibly not enjoy everything there is to do.
Here's a partial, but long, list of some things that will keep you busy each day. All are within easy driving distance of our Inn.
We can't wait for you to come back each night telling us about your adventures!
Mountain Adventures - Hiking & Climbing
Trails for Hiking and Biking
- Northern New England Rail Trail
- Winnipesaukee River Trail
- Franklin Falls Recreation Area – numerous dirt trails, free mountain bike area (w/a Black Diamond Trail), hiking, snow shoeing, biking, hunting, canoeing, kayaking, fishing
- Hill Village, Corp of Engineers recreation Area – pheasant hunting, hiking, biking, snow shoeing, sled dog race, bird dog competition, Profile Falls scenic area
Skiing Areas - Alpine and Cross Country
- Ragged Mountain Resort
- Gunstock Mountain Resort
- Waterville Valley Ski Area
- Loon Mountain Ski Area
- Mt. Sunapee
- Webster Lake
- Newfound Lake
- Lake Winnisquam
- Lake Winnipesaukee
- Squam Lake of On Golden Pond Fame
- Little Squam Lake and other various small lakes and ponds too numerous to mention
Museums and Nature Centers
Theatre and Concerts
- The Middel Arts and Entertainment Center
- Captitol Center for the Arts
- New London Barn Playhouse
- Meadowbrook Pavilion
- Mojalaki Golf Club
- Den Brae Golf Course
- Lochmere Golf Club - Wow!
- Ragged Mountain Golf Course
- Canterbury Woods Golf Course
- Waukewan Golf Club
- Tanger Outlet Mall - Tilton
- League of NH Craftsmen - Concord
- Mills Falls Marketplace - Meredith
- Earthly Treasures - Bristol
- KC Phipps Jewelers - Franklin
- Canoe Restaurant and Tavern - Center Harbor
- Common Man - Concord
- Homestead Restaurant and Tavern - Bristol
- Ciao Pasta - Franklin
- Wildfire Tavern and Pizza - Franklin
- O's - Lakeport
Hunting and Fishing
- Turkey Hunting
- Bear Hunting
- Deer Hunting
- Pheasant Hunting,
Guided fishing trips are all available. Packaged hunting trips arranged for guided hunts with NH Guide Services. Call for details.
The Atwood Inn is located 1.1 miles north of the intersection of Route 3 and 3A in Franklin, NH. Route 3A north of this intersection is called N. Main Street until it intersects with the turnoff to NH Route 11. At this intersection, Route 3A becomes Hill Road. The Inn is just a couple of blocks north of the intersection of Route 3A and NH Route 11.
From the North or South
- Take Interstate I-93 either north or south and take exit 20
- Proceed east along NH Route 3 & 11 through Tilton and Franklin approximately 6 miles
- When you come to Route 3A, turn right or north and go 1.1 miles
- The Inn will be on your right.
From the West
- Get yourself onto Route 11 and take it east until you arrive in Franklin where Route 11 intersects Route 3A
- Turn left or go north and the Inn will be on your right in just two blocks