Habberstad House Bed and Breakfast
Table Of Contents
Welcome to the Habberstad House Bed and Breakfast, located in the historic Bluff Country's river town of Lanesboro just 45 minutes from Rochester and the Mayo Clinic. Located in a quiet residential area, the Habberstad House is 6 blocks from downtown and bike trails. Built in 1897, the beautiful original oak woodwork, pocket doors and floors have been refurbished and renovated. Cool, quiet central air conditioning has been added. The spacious yard has been landscaped with a fountain and pond, gardens, and seating areas for your enjoyment.
Your hosts are Elaine and Mark Edwards. If you would like to find out more about our home or the Lanesboro area, please feel free to contact us. We would love to hear from you! Please note that from May through October weekend stays require a 2 night minimum stay that includes both a Friday and Saturday night stay.
The Habberstad House was named one of "the area's ten most remarkable retreats" by Minnesota Monthly Magazine
Built in 1897, our home is a fourteen-room Queen Anne Victorian house. Featuring the modern touches of central air conditioning and WIFI access, each room has its original oak and fir woodwork, each decorated with individual decor.
A beautiful, intricate, built-in oak buffet graces the home's dining room. Graceful latticed "moongates" decorate porches on both the first and second floors and are reflected in the carvings of its original and intact dining room buffet.
Sitting on our large front porch or strolling the spacious, open grounds and quiet neighborhood that surround the Habberstad House, will provide you a perfect place for rest and relaxation. A tiered fountain with a pond and various gardens dot the large yard. Seasonal shrubs and flowers such as peonies, rose bushes, hydrangeas, bridal wreath, star magnolias, clematis, Japanese anemones, asters, lilies, tulips, daffodils and annuals add color and grace to the gardens.
Guest rooms are tastefully decorated, all with private bathrooms, some with two person whirlpools and private second floor balconies. Choice of rooms with king, queen or two double beds. Comfortable, well-lit, seating areas are perfect for relaxing or reading a book. Comfortable beds and linens ensure a restful night’s sleep all year long.
A full, hearty breakfast is served family-style in the dining room at 8:30 a.m., except the Carriage House, which has a slightly modified, hot breakfast brought to the room each morning at 9 a.m.
Complimentary Wine and Cheese Reception during 4-6 p.m. check-in on Fridays, May – October. We also offer a full concierge service for dinner, discounted tickets to the Commonweal Theatre Company, and assist with arranging Amish Tours and other area activities. Brochures for dining, theatre, and local activities are located in the foyer.
Rates from $149 – $229 per night.
Services — We're here to serve you and make your stay relaxing and memorable.
- We have a Guest Safety plan in place at the Habberstad House - please review the Guest Safety book, located in each guest room.
- We offer full concierge service and will gladly assist you with dinner, theater and entertainment reservations and arrangements to make your stay with us delightful. We provide our guests with a $5.00 discount on all regular adult Commonweal Theater tickets, passing on to our this "perk" that we have as Core Million Dollar Club Members with the Commonweal Theater Company. You must not pick up or pay for your tickets until you have a special voucher in hand, however.
- The Amish Suite and the Carriage House have refrigerators.
- Complimentary wine, beer, soda, tea, and coffee (also lemonade and iced tea in season) are offered to our guests at check-in. On Fridays from May through October a complimentary wine and cheese reception is offered to our guests during our 4-6 PM check-in time. We have menus for the various restaurant choices available to review and discuss, as well as information on activities like theater, Amish Tours, shopping, cave tours, biking and river activities.
- Parking is available on the Habberstad House side of the street, in front of the house – the rear of the house is not available for guest parking, with the exception of Carriage House guests. We work hard to be considerate of our neighbors, so we thank you in advance for parking on our side of the street.
- The Habberstad House does not discriminate based on race, gender, age, religion or sexual preference; however there are no facilities for the handicapped. All rooms require use of the stairs.
- The Habberstad House requests that guests respect the privacy of other guests and the owners. Please respect any area labeled as "Private".
- The Habberstad House entrance is the front door, which should be locked by guests as they come and go. A key is provided to guests and should be retained at all times for use on the front door. This will protect the privacy and possessions of our home and guests. Please return the key upon check-out.
- Indoor bike storage in our Carriage House center garage stall is available upon request. This is located directly below the Carriage House guest room, so we ask that other guests opening or closing the Carriage House garage door not do so before 8:30 AM or after 10:00 PM, out of consideration of the guests above.
- We pride ourselves on providing a clean, uncluttered environment for our guests. We do not allow pet guests and there is no burning of candles,burning of incense or smoking allowed inside the house or Carriage House or on the grounds. We do not spray the house with aerosol fresheners nor do we use plug-in scent fresheners or potpourri. We do not have down comforters or pillows.
“Thank you so much for the warm welcome you gave us into your beautiful home. We greatly appreciated your helpful suggestions for restaurants and places to visit. We’ll take back to the UK lovely memories of your kind hospitality and amazing breakfasts! After a hard a hard week of business meetings it was great to recharge our batteries in such a wonderful place. We look forward to making a return trip on our next visit to Minneapolis!” — Roger and Margaret, Hampshire, England
"Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful space. I can’t imagine staying anywhere else the 1st couple days after we were married. The breakfasts were amazing. What a beautiful and peaceful way to start our lives together." — Shannon and Randall, Port Angeles, WA
"While here I’ve been reading a book, “Can’t Wait to Get to Heaven” I believe you two have given Debbie and me a taste of heaven now. The delicious breakfasts, the warm hospitality, the beautiful landscape, the spacious room, the endearing stories, have all conspired to make these 5 days one of our most memorable getaways. God willing, we’ll return before we get to heaven. —Can’t wait." — Fondly, Steve and Debbie
"This was serendipity – you have though of everything! Our favorites: the porch (thank you for ordering a starlit sky!), the ironed bed lines, the carrot cake for breakfast, and the perfectly groomed lawn and garden, with the fountain. This was truly a respite from our busy lives, and a perfect way to celebrate a birthday. Thank you for your care and attention to our every need." — Brenda and Kevin, Waseca, MN
"On our 6th trip to Lanesboro we have now finally found the B&B we like the best – we’ll be back again and again. Thanks for the friendly care, attention to detail and wonderful breakfasts!" — Don and Bonnie, Minneapolis
"We have been having a fabulous honeymoon here in Lanesboro. You have both been impeccable hosts! Thank you so much for the wonderful breakfasts and great recommendations around town. We loved the Orchid Room….so beautiful, so relaxing. This place couldn’t be more perfect for our honeymoon." — Marty and Andrea, St. Paul, MN
"Thank you so much for being such warm, friendly and attentive hosts. The Orchid Room was so very comfortable, bright and inviting….it was a wonderful place to sped our first week of married life. Your home is absolutely beautiful and tastefully decorated. Everyone in Lanesboro commented on what a wonderful place this is and what a great couple you are. Thanks for all the great ideas on how to fatten up my husband - what superb breakfasts! We are looking forward to spending future anniversaries here!" — David and Billie, Fort Dodge, IA
"This concludes our 5th trip to Lanesboro and to the Habberstad House. We always come for a week each time and find that it is scarecely enough. For the first time we biked over 200 miles – what a treasure this area is! We appreciate Nancy and Dave more each time….and we are booking our next stay today ….before we leave. Thanks for everything!" —Doug and Martha, Des Moines/Iowa City, IA
"What a beautiful room and home. It easily lives up to the picture in the B&B booklet and on the internet. Thanks for making all our reservations – that certainly made this a real mini-vacation. The family breakfast was fantastic." — Ron and Arlene, St. Paul, MN
"Even better the second time around. We are now looking forward to our next visit." — Beryl and Bernard, London, England
"Even more impressive in person than on the web or in the B&B booklet!! Beautifully restored, landscaped and maintained! Peaceful and fresh and clean! Gracious hosts. A lovely place to visit again and again." — Ruth and Wendy
"Staying in the Heather Room was a wonderful way to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We loved relaxing in the whirlpool tub with soft music playing in the background. The house and grounds were spectacular with all the surrounding colors of fall. We slept well! Thanks for a wonderful, refreshing experience (our first at a B&B). Great breakfast! Awesome conversation!" — Devry and Elaine, Wahpeton, ND
"They say the second time is charmed but for us it's the third. We've stayed at two other B&B's in recent years but they don't compare. The upkeep and overall decoration of this house and the gardens surrounding it are simply wonderful. My wife and I enjoyed very much our time here in Lanesboro, especially our decision to stay at the Habberstad House. Thanks!! For the enjoyable getaway." — Bill and Ellen, Bemidji, MN
"I'm writing this on the balcony on Sunday morning and the sun is up, the birds are chirping and the church bells are chiming - serenity revisited! You have a wonderful place here, made all the more enjoyable by the warmth of your hospitality. Thank you for a great time." — Malcolm and Sheila, Plymouth, MN
"Thank you for once again making my birthday weekend a relaxing and fun get-away. We love Lanesboro and all its small-town charm, but having the two of you to come back to each year truly does make it feel like we're coming home." — Fondly, Kim & Matt,Eagan, MN
"Thank you for providing a gracious home for us to share for a short while. We enjoyed hearing the history of the house & its former occupants. The grounds are lovely - especially enjoyed the perennial garden & fountain. We look forward to returning!!" — Bob & Dee, Bartlett, IL
Things To Do
In Lanesboro, the "Little Town in the Valley", there is something for everyone. The area is best known for its spectacular Root River Trail. This old railroad bed has been transformed into a paved trail for bicycling, groomed cross-country skiing, in-line skating and hiking. The trail winds more than 60 miles through the valley with Lanesboro at the center. It provides a beautiful journey along the river, through peaceful small towns, towering limestone bluffs, upland prairies, 48 bridges, dense hardwood forests and working family farms. Bicycle, canoe, kayak, and tube rentals (and shuttle service) are available in town.
A Few Lanesboro Area Links:
From Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minn.
MN-52 South to Rochester and follow Rochester Directions.
From Rochester, Minn.
MN-52 South to Fountain, County 8 East (left) to Lanesboro.
From Decorah, Iowa
MN-52 North through Harmony, MN-16 East (right) to Lanesboro.
From LaCrosse, Wis.
Interstate 90 West, Take MN-14/61 South at Exit 275 to LaCrescent. MN-14/61 changes into MN-16, MN-16 west to Hokah through Houston, Rushford, and into Lanesboro.
From Austin, Minn.
Interstate 90 East, Take MN-16 East at exit 193 toward Preston. Minn. 52/16 East (right) through Preston. MN-16 East (left) at John Deere dealership to Lanesboro.
Distances to Lanesboro and Habberstad House from:
- Rochester, MN: 45 minutes
- Austin, MN: 1 hour
- Duluth, MN: 5-1/4 hours
- Mpls./St. Paul: 2-1/4 hours
- Cedar Rapids, IA: 3 hours
- Des Moines, IA: 4 hours
- Quad Cities, IA: 4 hours
- La Crosse, WI: 45 minutes
- Madison, WI: 4 hours
- Milwaukee, WI: 5 hours
- Chicago, IL: 6 hours
- Sioux Falls, SD: 4 hours
- Fargo, ND: 6 hours