Monroe Manor Inn B&B
Table Of Contents
Come enjoy a peaceful, quiet stay at the Big Blue Waters first family's historic estate, Monroe Manor Inn Bed & Breakfast in South Haven, Michigan. Our bed and breakfast is conveniently located off 1-96 exit #20 just five minutes from South Haven's beautiful Lake Michigan Marina, Van Buren State Park Beaches, and downtown shopping and food district.
Nestled on a five-acre, park-like setting and located only minutes from Lake Michigan's Big Blue Water, our South Haven bed and breakfast features floral gardens, tennis court, large outdoor Jacuzzi, wedding gazebo, wrap around Victorian porch, accommodating morning breakfasts, afternoon cocktails, and romantic evenings.
The bed and breakfast is an 1800's classic mansion, completely modernized and restored, saving the classic old time charm, yet all modern conveniences have been added. Monroe Manor Inn offers five guest rooms with high end linens and private baths, some with new oversized showers with body sprays.
Whether you want to celebrate an anniversary or birthday or just that much needed getaway from the hectic, fast-paced life of today, you will feel relaxed during your stay at Monroe Manor Inn and return to life refreshed and energized. Treat yourself to an in-house massage, try our romantic getaway package, the weekday special, or a mother/daughter spa weekend, and check for our specials packages added regularly. Whether you are from the Chicago or Detroit area, our South Haven bed and breakfast is just a short two hour drive away, which makes for an easy getaway for the weekend.
Our inn is located a short 5-minute drive from most South Haven activities including:
- KalHaven Bike/Walking Trail (37 miles long)
- Golfing (several courses close by)
- Downtown Shops/Restaurants
- Gingerman Race Track
- Two clean, spacious beaches and lighthouse
- Maritime Museum offering sunset sailboat cruises
- Canoe trips, sand dunes jeep tour
- Marina with boating, fishing, jet ski rentals
- Cross country skiing, snowmobiling
- Ice skating rink in town during the winter
J.R. Monroe was the founder of South Haven, Michigan. He was granted a land patent from the U.S. Government in 1833 for 65 acres along Lake Michigan's shores. Soon after, he married Fannie Rawson and the newlyweds traveled by lumber wagon to live in a log cabin that Monroe had previously built. The village that Monroe had envisioned did not develop at this time and the newlyweds moved to Lawrence, Michigan. It was not until the 1850's that the original pioneers settled at this location.
It was C.J. Monroe, son of J.R. Monroe, that settled at South Haven, building and raising a family at what is now known as Monroe Manor. C.J. was also president of the town bank, now known as Clementine's Restaurant. He also served as Secretary of Agriculture for the state of Michigan. Mr. Monroe also contributed to the planning and execution of the Chicago World's Fair.
Garden & Wedding Gazebo
Area Website Links
- Waterfront Massage - www.waterfrontmassage.com
- GingerMan Raceway - www.gingermanraceway.com
- South Haven Visitors Bureau - www.southhaven.org
- Michigan Maritime Museum - www.michiganmaritimemuseum.org
- Kalhaven Trail - www.kalhaventrail.org
- HawksHead Links Golf - www.hawksheadlinks.com
Michigan Wines - www.michiganwines.com
How To Find Us
- 80/94 East thru Indiana
- Once entering Michigan, continue 94 East to 196N to Exit 20(Phoenix Road)
- Turn Right to 73rd St.
- Make a Right on 73rd to 8th Ave (1 mile)
- Approximately 2 hrs.
- 196 South to Phoenix Rd, Exit 20
- Turn Right off exit to 73rd
- Turn Right
- One mile South to 8th Ave
- Approximately 1 hr.
- 94 West to Kalamazoo, then take M43 to South Haven
- Prior to overpass, turn Right on 73rd St. to 8th Ave
- Approximately 2.5 hrs.