Carriage House at the Harbor
Table Of Contents
Your ultimate comfort is our priority - that's why 85% of our guests keeping coming back time and again!
The Carriage House At The Harbor is located in a quaint beach village. This luxurious, romantic retreat features beautiful harbor views. It's steps from the beach, and only a short stroll to downtown's cafes, boutique shopping and fine dining. Fairs, festivals, fun activities, biking, golfing....orchards and wineries close by.
Chosen on of the "Top Ten Most Romantic Inns" in the country buy ILoveInns.com
Awarded "Best of the Great Lakes" 2008 and 2009,
#1 in popularity on TripAdvisor.com
Featured in Midwest Living, Inn Traveler, Chicago Tribune,
Elite and Travel and Leisure magazines.
This beautiful harbor side mansion boats 12 uniquely decorated guest rooms. Each has a private bath, comfy bathrobes, hair dryers, and cozy fireplaces. Many have jacuzzis, and porches with harbor views. All have Direct TV with DVD/VCR, and wireless internet.
The beach with breath taking sunsets is only steps away. Stroll downtown to the quaint shops and restaurants. Located near the orchards and wine country. Fun festivals and activities all year long.
Experience superb hospitality in the atmosphere of yesterday with all the comforts of today.
Every morning at the Carriage House starts with a decadent, gourmet breakfast. Our sun-filled dining room and screened porch beckon you to greet the morning in grand style. Savor that first cup of coffee at your own private table while gazing at the harbor. In warm weather, guests gather for breakfast on tiered porches, watching sailboats and yachts while soaking up the morning sun. Breakfast is served at 9:00 am while coffee and tea are available at 7:30 am.
Around 5:00 pm, guests gather and discuss their day over pre-dinner nibbles. It is a great time to meet other travelers and exchange ideas for dinner, activities, for the next day, and enjoy the hospitality and conviviality the Carriage House is famous for.
Homemade cookies and freshly popped popcorn are available at 3 pm each day. The guest refrigerator is always stocked with complimentary bottled water.
- Seasonal flowers
- Sun porches and patio with comfortable gliders overlooking the harbor
- Full gourmet breakfast served in our dining room, screened porch and outdoor tiered porches, all overlooking the harbor
- Afternoon refreshments and evening hors d'oeuvres
- Guest refrigerator with complimentary bottled water
- Ice and wine glasses
- Video library
- Wireless internet throughout the house
- "Butler's Basket" for anything you may have forgotten
- Menu book
- Off street parking
- Airport service
- Bangor train service
- Handicap accessible
- Pristine private bathrooms
- Freshly ironed sheets
- Luxurious toiletries
- Two comfy bathrobes
- Hair dryers
- Direct TV
- DVD and VHS player
- Central air-conditioning and heating
- Ceiling fans
- Alarm clocks
Some rooms have whirlpools, fireplaces and
private porches overlooking the harbor
The Carriage House at the Harbor Bed and Breakfast in South Haven, Michigan was voted one of the "Top Ten Most Romantic Inns" in the United States
“When guests check out of the Carriage House at the Harbor in South Haven, MI they leave their room key, settle their bill, and invariably sign up for their next stay”. - Inn Traveler
“I have never felt so pampered! Antiques, fireplaces, endless cookies,
balconies, gourmet breakfast…” - Fodors
“Standing tall and gleaming with beauty and pride this 110-year, Victorian Inn is a sparkling jewel along the harbor of the resort port of South Haven, Michigan.” - Michigan Travel Guide
“Carriage House at the Harbor in South Haven, MI is by all
regards the leader of area guest houses…” - Image Magazine
“The Carriage House at the Harbor in South Haven becomes Michigan’s first bed and breakfast to earn AAA’s prestigious Four Diamond ranking”. - AAA Michigan
“…reputedly one of the state’s finest bed and breakfast inns. Searching for love in the right places…Couples in search of a getaway might ask themselves,
if this is not romance with a capital “R”, what is?” - Elite
“…hospitality excellence…” - Tourist Times
“….a cut above.” - Southwestern Michigan Tourist Council
Named South Haven one of the “Top Ten Get Out of Town” destinations. -
Travel & Leisure Magazine
“…you receive genuine hospitality. It’s not just a place to stay.” - Herald Palladium
“0ne of the best small towns in the Midwest!” - Michigan Living
Weddings & Special Events
For your wedding, and for memories of a lifetime, we invite you to celebrate the most magical day of your life at the Carriage House. A unique location... personalized service... comfortable surroundings... superb food... romantic intimacy...
Whether you envision a private intimate ceremony or a larger gathering of friends and family, we have the perfect spot. Perhaps the beach at sunset... our porches with a back drop of the enchanting harbor... the cozy library beside the fireplace. We offer a full range of services that will make your joyous day complete. We can provide the flowers, the food, the wine, the music and the service you desire. We can host 50 guests for cocktails and up to 35 for a formal dinner. Our 12 elegant guest rooms accommodate 25 guests. For larger parties, we partner with another inn within walking distance.
After the wedding, let the bridal suite wrap you in elegance and peaceful bliss. Share a glass of bubbly and enjoy the evening breeze on your private porch, snuggle in the oversized whirlpool and then fall into the canopied king bed to share memories of this perfect day while you're warmed by the fireplace. From our food, to our staff, to the facility itself, we pride ourselves on excellence and personalized service to make your day truly wonderful. We would be honored to be a part of your special day. Please call 269-639-2161 and let us make your dreams come true.
By definition "Reunion" means come together again. And, coming together at the Carriage House in South Haven is sure to be memorable. Whether you're gathering family, friends, sorority sisters, your church group or book club, you'll find that the Carriage House and the South Haven area are your ideal choice. The lovely rooms, fabulous food, warm atmosphere, common areas and the harbor view are reasons we have groups that join us year after year. We are more than happy to customize your get-together so it's special and personal. Breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres are included. Custom menus can be designed for barbecues, picnics, casual or formal dinners.
Nearby you will find a wealth of fun activities... boat excursions, games, dune rides, biking, hiking, winery tours and much more. South Haven and nearby towns boast many clothing and antique shops, art galleries, specialty stores and great restaurants. Whether it's a scavenger hunt, a rally, games, or day trips, we'll gladly tailor everything to your needs. Fresh air, breath-taking sunsets, and the beauty and spirit of Lake Michigan are the perfect backdrop for a pleasant get-together. If you are looking for a special place to reunite, call 269-639-2161 and we'll make sure your affair is perfect in every way. Join the list of those who have experienced a truly unique visit at the Carriage House.
A business retreat in South Haven at the Carriage House is a refreshing departure from the standard facilities and services offered at chain hotels. We provide your executives and staff luxurious accommodations, superb dining, and activities for building teamwork, positive attitudes and self-reflection. Your group will leave relaxed, exhilarated and motivated. Our meeting room accommodates 10 to 11 participants at our conference table and 17 to 24 at individual tables. A larger meeting room can be provided, if needed. The inn boasts 12 elegantly appointed guest rooms. If more guest rooms are necessary, we partner with another inn within walking distance.
Breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres are included. Menus may be designed to suit morning and afternoon breaks, working lunches, casual or formal evening meals. Team building experiences include charter fishing, golf, bike rallies, dune rides, boat excursions, winery tours, and custom scavenger hunts among others. We provide full concierge services for off site activities. At the Carriage House, fresh air, magnificent sunsets and the beauty and spirit of Lake Michigan are the perfect backdrop for productive and energetic meetings. Reserve the entire house Sunday through Thursday, November through mid May for only $1400. If you are looking for a special place to meet, call us at 269-639-2161. We will customize a memorable retreat.
Our Top 10 Favorite Adventures: so we have eleven - who cares
- Sunsets - Watch an amazing sunset from the bluffs on Monroe Boulevard or from any beach.
- Dinner - Search for the perfect meal. Try Everyday People in Douglas one day and then Journeyman Cafe in the Fennville the next, or vice versa.
- Deerlick Creek Beach - Take an early morning trip to search for sea glass and rocks.
- Packard Park Beach - Walk down to this quieter beach and relax. Take a break and walk to Captain Lou's located under the drawbridge. Have a beer in the sun overlooking the harbor. Pick up a sandwich at the North Side Deli (about 6 bucks for a great sandwich custom made with a side and a pickle) for a picnic back at the beach.
- Antiquing - Drive the antiquing loop searching for deviled egg plates to add to my collection. I always leave David at the inn. He slows me down.
- Sherman's Ice Cream - Indulge in a cool desert. An evening drive east on Phoenix, look to your left at the lines and you'll know you're there. Some of our guests go twice a day. Just order a single!!!
- Drive to Saugatuck - Follow the Blue Coast Artist's Trail, stop at all the galleries. When we arrive in Saugatuck we people-watch, hit the boutiques and tasting rooms. We can never leave without a tenderloin sandwich at Phil's.
- Thursday night music at Riverside Park - Borrow lawn chairs or a blanket from the inn, grab a sandwich from the Depot, stroll to the park, sit back and enjoy the music - all summer long.
- Light Up the Lake (4th of July) Don't miss the parade, the spectacular fireworks, and the fabulous fine art fair. David and I bought a sculpture last year. It doesn't really go with the Carriage House decor but we love it.
- Bike the Kal-Haven Trail - Take a picnic lunch and a bottle of wine or stop at a farmers market or restaurant along the way. Our guests love this scenic route especially in the fall.
- Kayaking on the Black River - Bask in natural beauty. All you need is wine, cheese, crusty bread and a paddle. For those a little less athletic (like us) rent a motorized dinghy.
Just a few more...
- Leaf peeping along the back roads, apple picking, cider and donuts at McIntosh's, pie at Cranes.
- Browsing Black River Books.
- Attending festivals, there are so many it is hard to pick a favorite.
- Savoring a romantic dinner at Toulouse in Saugatuck.
- Walking to the Farmers Market on Saturday morning.
- We're addicted to the blue potatoes and the beets.
- Appreciating a trip to Wavecrest Nursery. We're amazed every time we go.
- Watching the Waterfront Film Festival in Saugatuck. In June David and I saw 7 films in one day. Fun but fanny fatigue. We are looking forward to next year but will bring a cushion.
How To Find Us
From the North or the South
The Carriage House at the Harbor Bed and Breakfast is located at 118 Woodman Street in South Haven, Michigan.
From I-196, north or south, you will take exit 22 (North Shore Drive) and go west. Stay straight on North Shore.
You will travel for 2 miles, cross the stop sign at Dyckman Avenue and take your first left onto Woodman Street.