The Meredith House
Table Of Contents
The brick home, known as The Rocking Horse Inn, is a fourteen room home which sits proudly on a hill on two and one half acres.
A Little History
James Leonardson came to Pittsford from Montgomery, New York in 1843. He purchased 80 acres of unbroken forest land, built a log cabin, then returned to the Toledo area where his new bride (Lucinda) waited with relatives. They came back by Michigan Railroad to their new holdings. They slept at first without the protection of doors and windows.
In early life, James was a Whig in politics. Later in life he was one of the founders of the Republican party. James was a member of the republican party's first convention held under the Oaks at Jackson, Michigan. During the Civil War, he was a U.S. Deputy Provost Marshall.
James built the brick home for retirement where he and Lucinda celebrated their golden wedding anniversary.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to MaryAnn & Phil Meredith for sharing their secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
We are close proximity to Hillsdale College, beaches, biking and walking trails.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
We are probably best known for our bountiful breakfasts and yummy desserts. Unique? The peacefulness is what we love.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
It’s not a full hustle-bustle area, so if that’s what you are used to, you should come check us out.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
A guest once said, “Thank you for a wonderful, relaxing stay. You're truly great servants. Mark 10:45.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
The horse thief Silas Doty's caves.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
Drive around the county and see all the beautiful lakes and eateries.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
2 restaurants within walking distance.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference?
Hillsdale County guide.
How many rooms does your inn have?
4 rooms with private bathrooms.
Do you accept pets?
No pets, but there are pet motels.
The Pittsford Baker's Dozen
- Fremont Outlet, Fremont, Indiana - 35 minutes
- Michigan Speedway (Nascar/Indy), Irish Hills - 25 minutes
- Allen Antique Capital, Allen - 25 minutes
- Hillsdale College Campus, Hillsdale - 10 minutes
- Lost Nations State Game Reserve, Pittsford/Osseo - 1 mile (Hiking & walking - Legend has it horse thief, Silas Doty, hid his horses in caves there. See if you can find the caves!)
- Hillsdale County Fair, Hillsdale - 10 minutes (Last week in September)
- Grosvenor House Museum, Jonesville - 20 minutes (Tour the Victorian home rich in history)
- Community Theater, Jonesville - 20 minutes
- Will Carleton's Poorhouse, Hillsdale - 10 minutes (Will Carleton's birthplace)
- Shipshewana Flea Market/Shops, Shipshewana, IN - 1 hour
- Hidden Lake Gardens, Tipton - 35 minutes
- Lakes, small and large, for fishing, skiing, and swimming. Hiking, biking and walking in the area and, of course, shopping!
- Golf Courses: Many golf courses in the area from 10 minutes to 40 minutes away. "Golf Digest" rates Concord Hills Golf Course one of the most beautiful golf courses in the U.S. with its rolling hills and breathtaking views. We can call for your tee times.
A full breakfast, served between 8:20 a.m. and 10 a.m., unless otherwise specified. On nice summer mornings breakfast may be served outside on the beautiful wraparound porch.
Club or Corporate Meetings
Up to 10 people for 2 hours $50; Up to 20 people for 1/2 day $100.
Lunch available at extra charge. Tax & gratuities included.