The House On The Hill Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
The House on the Hill is Northern Michigan's Premier Bed and Breakfast. From our beautiful rooms to our gourmet breakfast, come bask in the warmth of our hospitality. Nestled between the sparkling blue waters of Lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoix, and seated right on the Chain of Lakes, you will appreciate the beauty of our Great Lakes state. Come enjoy our forested property with babbling brooks and groomed trails.
The House on the Hill is conveniently located in Northern Michigan's Chain of Lakes resort area, an hour's drive of either Traverse City or Mackinac Island, close to a myriad of opportunities for everything from skiing to golf, water sports to hiking, antiquing, to casino gambling. Newly redecorated and comfortable air-conditioned guest rooms, each with a queen or king size bed, a inviting sunroom with a cozy fireplace, a gracious, wicker-filled w raparound porch overlooking St. Clair Lake.
The inn's expansive grounds offer extensive lake frontage as well as groomed walking trails for hiking, snow-shoeing, and cross-country skiing. Still more: within walking distance to one of Michigan's finest restaurants, the Rowe Inn. Kayaks and Canoe are available for your use on the picturesque St. Clair Lake. Please visit our web site or call us!
The House on the Hill is proud to have been voted "Best Bed and Breakfast" by the Graphic Weekly Newspaper! Two Years Running!
Ed Fisher from The Morining Sun writes:
"The House on the Hill is a fabulous bed and breakfast... We had a wonderful time and came home refreshed and happy."
According to Sandra Soule who writes in INNROADS:
"You might choose to stay at The House on the Hill because of its convenient location in Northern Michigan's Chain of Lakes resort area, with a hour's drive of either Traverse City or Mackinac Island, close to a myriad of opportunities for everything from skiing to golf, water sports to hiking, antiquing, to casino gambling. There's only one problem with that plan--it requires you to leave the inn--not an easy thing to do. From the newly redecorated and comfortable guest rooms, each with a queen- or king-size bed, to the inviting sunroom with a cozy fireplace, to the gracious, wicker-filled wraparound porch overlooking St. Clair Lake, temptations to linger abound. The inn's expansive grounds offer extensive lake frontage as well as groomed walking trails for hiking, snow-shoeing, and cross-country skiing: within walking distance is one of Michigan's finest restaurants, Rowe Inn. See what we mean?"
Traverse Magazine says, "Sitting squarely between two of Michigan's most outstanding restaurants, this bed and breakfast is a vortex for food lovers. Visitors to the converted Ellsworth farmhouse also find the amiable hospitality...and drop-jaw breakfasts"
Carol Bruyere writes in Romantic Michigan:"The House on the Hill is the ultimate hostess. Her rich decor, and four private, spacious main house rooms treat you to line-dried sheets, 'lightable candles', carafe ice water, lotion, powders, and surprises to make your stay memorable. She includes those 'special touches' in the three Carriage House rooms-the more rustic 'American-style' hideaways that back up to a gurgling Artesian creek, and a wilderness scene. Private back deck, ceiling fans, gas fireplaces and even umbrellas enhance this special section. Rates vary from $150-$200, Main House or Carriage House."
The House on the Hill offers many activities all year round. You may choose to stroll the groomed trails of our 50 private acres of land. Or you may prefer to sit back and relax on our porch and take in the pristine view of Saint Clair Lake. Of course you can always take one of our paddle boards, kayaks or canoe out for a quiet ride, and don’t forget your fishing pole!
Do the winter blues have you down? Come witness the peaceful silence of the winter season in Northern Michigan, or bring your sled and break the silence on our new DNR approved and groomed trail (we are "Park and Go"). Take a set of our snow shoes and explore the trails, or enjoy a winter river trip with Jordan Valley Outfitters. There is always something to do at The House on the Hill.
Prefer to stay warm? Then enjoy a lavish meal at The Rowe Inn, one of Michigan’s finest restaurants, and then come back to your room and snuggle up with that special someone in front of your own fireplace. And don’t forget about the gourmet breakfast served every morning by your innkeepers.
The House on the Hill is located amongst some of Michigan’s greatest attractions including world class golf courses and ski resorts. Only minutes away, the charm of Charlevoix will have you reluctant to leave. One visit, and we’re sure you’ll make The House on the Hill a yearly vacation destination!
For GPS users our address is:
The House on the Hill
9661 Lake Street
Ellsworth, Michigan 49729
Chicago 6 hours
- I94 East to Interstate 196 North to Grand Rapids
- In Grand Rapids, take Hwy131 North to Mancelona
- In Mancelona, take Hwy66 North to East Jordan
- At stop light in East Jordan, turn left onto C-48
- Go 6 miles west to The House on the Hill (right-hand side of the road)
Detroit 5 hours
- I75 North to Gaylord
- In Gaylord, take Hwy32 West to East Jordan
- Follow Hwy32 West through East Jordan until it becomes C48 (at stop light)
- Follow C48 West for six miles to The House on the Hill (right-hand side of the road)
Traverse City 1 hour
- US31 North to Village of Atwood
- Turn east (right) at Friske Orchard and Ellsworth sign
- Follow C-48 for six miles to Ellsworth
- Stay on C-48 in Ellsworth--it requires two left-hand turns
- The House on the Hill is on C-48 on the left-hand side of the road
Harbor Springs 1 hour Petoskey 45 minutes Charlevoix 20 minutes
- US31 South through Charlevoix past M-66 (first traffic light south of Charlevoix)
- Continue on US31 about1/8 mile then turn left at first intersection onto Marion Center Road, also known as C-65
- Continue south, approximately 10 miles to stop sign and blinker light
- Turn left onto C-48
- Go though Ellsworth making two more left turns staying on C-48
- The House on the Hill is just out of town on the left side
Mackinac Bridge 2 hours
- I75 South to Gaylord
- In Gaylord, take Hwy32 West to East Jordan
- Follow Hwy32 West through East Jordan until it becomes C-48 (at stop light)
- Follow C-48 West for six miles to The House on the Hill (right-hand side of the road)