The Carriage House Room
Harpers Bazaar and Vacations Magazine both chose the Carriage House as their favorite Maine Stay guestroom. At the ground level in the back of the house this large room has a queen bed, private bath, lots of books, a Vermont Castings stove and French doors which open onto a quaint stone patio tucked in between the room and the barn. A small TV is on a side. This is a lovely, private romantic bedchamber. Rates $160 to $240.
The Topper Room
This room overlooks a wooded glen. No houses are visible from here, but the animals that reside in the State Park behind our house can often be seen snacking on our tulips or hosta. With a queen-size bed and leaded glass panels this is a delightful room. The room is equipped with a comfortable bath. We are pleased to name this room in honor of Bob and Juanita Topper, who were the third owners of the Maine Stay. Rates $125 to $180.
Amelia House and her husband Jonathan are responsible for the circa 1840 renovations that give the Inn its classic New England appearance. This suite occupies the entire third floor of the inn, an area that once held three separate bedrooms. You will find an interesting collection of furnishings like the end tables made from old sewing machine bases. The sitting room has a sofa, a comfortable lounging chair, a small desk, TV with a DVD player and fireplace. You can sit at the desk to write a note, or just look out at the rooftops of some of the historic homes that line High Street. Located at the rear of the house, this bedroom with its antique, high brass and iron queen bed views the woods and Mount Battie. A small adjoining bedroom has a high brass and iron twin bed. The bathroom has a tile shower and a skylight. Rates $175 to $270 based on double occupancy. Additional person add $35.
Common Ground Room
Maine is known for its agricultural fairs, which celebrate harvest and mark the beginning of our long winters. One of the most popular is the Common Ground Fair, which is sponsored by the Maine Organic Farmers Association. Our Common Ground Room incorporates this theme displaying posters from past fairs. A high beamed ceiling, Vermont Castings stove and Maine Cottage furniture (queen bed and hidden TV with a DVD player) keep the feeling rustic. French doors open to a private balcony that overlooks the garden. The room has a modern in-suite bath with shower and soaking tub. Rates $165 to $250.
The Smith Robson Room
The Dogwood Room
Located on the first floor above the Carriage House, this room overlooks our rock garden and the woods. You can see our barn, a brook and the paths that wind through our wooded glen, but mostly you can see trees, lots of trees. The room has a beautiful brass queen bed that is inlaid with mother-of-pearl dogwood flowers, a sitting area and private bath with tile shower. Rates $135 to $200.
The Tierney Room
A bright and cheerful corner room with three windows that bring in the morning sun. On the second floor, in the front of the house, this room looks out at a group of wonderful old white clapboard-clad homes -- every one listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The tile bath has a six foot soak tub and shower. The room is named for Bob and Sally Tierney who, together with Bruce and Pat Hunt, were the first to recognize the potential of the Huse-McKay house as a bed and breakfast inn. Our wonderful kitchen, with its grand old Queen Atlantic stove, reflects their style and personality. Rates $135 to $200.
Guest Rooms/Rates - Policies
- While we don't have lots of "do this, don't do that" notes posted around the house, there are some rules and procedures that we want you to know and ask that you follow. If any of the following items give you a problem, just let us know and we will be happy to help you find a place that will be just right for you.
- No Smoking! Absolutely no smoking - none. We will charge an additional cleaning fee of $200 to those who smoke in the room or in any common area.
- No pets.
- Our inn is best enjoyed by guests at least 12 years old.
- Reservations are guaranteed and acknowledged upon receipt of payment for one day or one half of the total due, whichever is greater.
- We accept VISA, Mastercard, American Express and Discover, and process cards at the time of booking.
- If you wish to confirm by check we will hold the room for ten days pending receipt.
- Due to our small size, cancellations affect us significantly. Please understand also that our season is very short. Therefore we are forced to adhere to a strict cancellation policy. Guests are responsible for charges on all rooms and days reserved when notice of cancellation is less than 14 days prior to the scheduled arrival. A $25.00 per room processing fee will be applied to all refunds.
- Please check-in between 3pm and 6pm. If this is not possible, call us and we will arrange a time convenient for you.
- Special policies apply to rental of the entire inn. Please inquire.