Table Of Contents
The Thornhedge Inn is a Queen Anne styled shingled cottage located in the Historic Corridor District of Bar Harbor. Only a block from the Village Green in downtown Bar Harbor. The house is an easy walk from all shopping and dining attractions.
Built in 1900 as one of the original grand summer "cottages", and still boasting original woodwork and period furnishings, Thornhedge offers guests the opportunity to experience the classic elegance of old Bar Harbor with the convenience of modern amenities. All eleven rooms have private bathrooms, A/C and cable television while some feature fireplaces or private balcony.
"Bar Harbor's most desirable place to stay." - Frommer's Dollarwise Guide to New England
A family business since 1976, and still owner operated, we invite you to recapture the spirit of Bar Harbor at the turn of the century and come discover the unique beauty of Mount Desert Island.
Please contact us for more details or to make reservations.
To start the day, we serve our guests a homemade gourmet breakfast with selections such as Baked Blueberry french toast or omelette with cheese sauce. In the afternoon we invite everyone to relax and mingle with the other guests while enjoying wine, cheese and fruit after a long day of exploring Acadia National Park.
Planning Your Stay
Mount Desert Island abounds with activities for every whim, taste, and athletic ability ranging from casual strolls along our seashore and carriage paths to strenuous rock and mountain climbing.
It is impossible to provide a complete list here on our web site but we are providing a few to give you an idea of just how wide a selection you have to choose from.
- Acadia National Park - One mile drive or bike
- 150 miles of hiking trails
- 56 miles of Carriage Paths for walking or biking
- Salt and Fresh water beaches
- Acadia Repetory Theatre
- Arcady Music Festival
- Bar Harbor Music Festival
- Grand Auditorium - Ellsworth
Bar Harbor Business District
- Waterfront-sailing, sightseeing boats, whale watching
- Bike and canoe rentals
- Kayak tours
- Bus and trolley tours
- Restaurants and shopping
- Golf - one mile away - the world famous Kebo Valley Golf Course
Micro-brewery tours -
- The Atlantic Brewing Co. , www.atlanticbrewing.com
- Bar Harbor Brewing Co., www.barharborbrewing.com
How To Find Us
Driving to Bar Harbor
- Bar Harbor is easily accessible by car. From Boston (268 miles)
- Follow Interstate 95 through to Bangor (exit 182A - 395)
- Then pick-up on Rt.1A to Ellsworth, and follow Rt.3 to Bar Harbor
- Another route would be to take I-95 to Augusta, take Route 3 to Belfast over to Route 1 to Ellsworth
- Then back to Route 3 into Bar Harbor
- There is also the coastal route #1
- It meanders thought the picturesque villages and takes quite a bit longer to reach Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor is serviced by a local airport, the Hancock County Airport, located just 12 miles from the village, and by Bangor International Airport only 50 miles away.
During the summer months, Bar Harbor is serviced by Greyhound/Vermont Transit from Boston. Since schedules vary, it is best to check with the bus line.
Finding the Thornhedge Inn
- Coming from Ellsworth on Route 3, you will cross a bridge at the head of the island
- From here you are about 15 min. away
- Take the left fork, and follow Route 3 until you pass the ferry terminal to Canada on the left and the Days Inn on the right
- Proceed about another 1/2 mile to a stop sign
- At the sign take a left and the Thornhedge is on the left in two blocks