Bear Grove Cabins (Bed and Breakfast)
Table Of Contents
Welcome to Bear Grove Cabins!
Enjoy your stay with us, and when you leave, take our engraved wine glasses home with you!!
Pay/stay 5 nights, and your 6th night is FREE!
Kids age 6 and under stay FREE!
Come rest, relax, renew, and refresh with us...and we hope you want to return.
The Black Bear Log Home opened in August 2007, and the Cabina West opened in November 2010. We have 200 acres, of which you are welcome to roam as you wish. 140 acres of woods, with mapped walking/nature trails available. The pond has blue gill, bass, and catfish. (See the 25 pound catfish to the left!) Bring your poles and bait!
Since September 2011, we donate 20% of our gross earnings each month to the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod World Mission Fund. So while you are resting, relaxing and renewing with us, you are helping others learn about Jesus.
Come stay with us at the log house, or the southwest themed cabina. Enjoy peace, solitude, and the beauty of nature. We provide your evening meal and breakfast for you each day. And you get a bottle of wine each evening. We don't bother you...we just offer old-fashioned home cooked meals, a clean and comfortably furnished cabin, and a peaceful, quiet, country place to yourself.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Van and Sharon Boatman for sharing their own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
For a short 1-3 day getaway...we have couples, girls getaways, organizational getaways (ie: girl scout leaders retreat), college friends or siblings rendezvous, mother and daughters scrapbooking, honeymoon, babymoon, anniversary or birthday celebrations, visiting their kid in college (Greenville), or just to do nothing but read or relax.
What are you best known for?
Whole house rental; (don't have to share accommodations or eat breakfast at a certain time or with someone you don’t know.
Besides having a place to yourself, we provide an evening crock-pot meal, homemade bread, wine and take our engraved wine glasses home with you.
What do you love most about your inn?
We love how people react when they first see it, and look forward to staying here.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
It was Illinois' second capital, and is full of Abraham Lincoln history.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
People want to live here, or not ever leave.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
Ease of getting back to nature, peaceful, good fishing and hunting mushrooms in spring & fall, beautiful Vandalia Lake (boating & fishing).
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
6 wineries within 45 min, one hour + from IL State Capital (Pres. Museum, Lincoln Home, etc), one hour + from St. Louis (zoo, Arch, museums, science center, Laclede's Landing, Busch Stadium (STL Cards), Carlyle Lake boating & sailing, 2 state parks within 45 min, antique & specialty shops, Vandalia, IL history (Old State Capitol, Looking for Lincoln trails, Fayette Co. Museum, bowling), Greenville, IL (American Heritage Farm Museum, theatre), restaurants
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
Fishing pond, nature trails, red deer farm
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Gallatin Street Grille
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference? How many rooms does your inn have?
Log Home sleeps 8 and has 5 rooms; Cabina West has 4 rooms and sleeps 6.
Do you accept pets?
No pets. We have 2 pet boarding places in our area, but suggest your local pet boarding that you and your pet are familiar with.
Large mouth bass caught by my son Gabe...he threw it back in the pond for YOU to catch!!
We are kid friendly, and most all of them love to fish with their mom or dad....or aunt!!
- Vandalia Lake & Marina
- Kaskaskia River
- Carlyle Lake/State Park
- Governor Bond Lake
- Illinois Department of Natural Resources
- Illinois Department of Natural Resources
We have 8 courses within 25 miles.
Twin Oaks Golf Club
(618) 749 - 5611
Greenville, IL Miles 8.2
Indian Springs Golf Club
(217) 538 - 2392
Filmore, IL Miles 8.3
Vandalia Country Club
(618) 283 - 1365
Vandalia, IL Miles 9.2
Ramsey Lake Golf Course
(618)423 - 2261
Ramsey, IL Miles 15.3
Governors Run Golf Club
(618) 594 - 4585
Carlyle, IL Miles 20.7
Colonial Golf Club
(618) 247 - 3307
Sandoval, IL Miles 23.1
St. Elmo Golf Club
(618) 829 - 3390
St. Elmo, IL Miles 23.3
Carlyle Lake Golf Club
Carlyle, IL Miles 23.7
Area Attractions - Antique Stores
- Shopping in Vandalia & Greenville
- Forsee Vineyards and Wine (Coffeen)
- Copper Dock Winery (Pocahontas)
- Fitness gyms
- Vandalia Statehouse
- Fayette County Museum
- Little Brick House
- Madonna of the Trail
- Facial/ Body Massage Spa
- Driftstone Pueblo
- Area Churches
- Fayette County Art Museum
General Information (Included)
Your crock pot evening meal, loaf of homemade bread, complimentary bottle of wine and wine glasses will await you. Breakfast also included.
We call you several days prior to your arrival to get your meal preference (beef, pork, chicken) and wine preference (white or red, dry, etc ) Please inform us about any food allergies or dislikes.
Table set with place mats, cloth napkins, wine glasses, ect.
- Satellite flatscreen TV/DVD with surround sound
- Game table (in loft of log home) checkers & backgammon
- Magazines, books, dice game, playing cards, board games
- Bath robes in each closet
- Jackets in foyer closet
- Extra blanket and pillow in each closet
- Snack basket (S'mores basket seasonal)
- Coffeepot (Folger's provided), microwave, gas range and full size refrigerator
Breakfast is included and will be in the refrigerator for you (to reheat) when you are ready. We will give you one of the following selections to choose:
- Hash brown casserole (ham, sausage, plain)
- Tater tot quiche (ham, sausage, plain)
- Fruit plate with morning bread (possibilities are banana, zuchinni, or pumpkin bread)
- Oven puffed french toast with bacon or sausage patties on the side
Your outdoor amenities include:
Covered porch, patio table and chairs
- Three acre fishing pond
- Picnic table and fire pit with plenty of firewood
- Walking trails (map available)
- Bird watching (binoculars and ID book provided)
- Wildlife by chance - deer, fox, raccons, ducks, geese, turkey, pheasant and more
- Ample parking with electrical outlet access to recharge your boat battery, ect.
- Lawn and lounge chairs
What to bring with you:
- DVD's, CD's
- Board games, cards, dominos, etc
- Outdoor games - football, soccer ball, badminton, ball and gloves, bocce ball, etc.
- Fishing pole and bait for bass, blue gill and catfish from our pond
- Snacks, beverages, brats, hotdogs, frozen pizza, ect. (Lunch is on your own)
- Reading materials
- Your smart/cell phone, only if you want to communicate with the outside world
Brunch/Lunch Trays available for $20
Must be ordered before check-in and may include the following:
- Meat and cheese tray: assorted salami, lunch meats, cheeses and crackers
- Fruit tray: assortment of seasonal fruits served with morning bread - possibility of zuchinni, banana, or pumpkin
- Check-in anytime after 3pm
- Check-out time is 11am
Handicap Accessible/Limited Mobility
The Cabina West has no steps to get inside, and is all one level. Walk-in shower. Our interior doors are NOT wheelchair passable.