Propose in Savannah, Georgia 6 Feb 2014, 3:34 pm
- Full gourmet breakfast served in the private quarters of your room or on our grand veranda each morning
- Extended noon check-out
- Chilled Champagne or Sparkling Cider upon arrival or at turn-down
- Choice of:
o Spa Basket in room upon arrival
o Special Turn-down service with tea lights and chocolate truffles
- $75.00 Dinner gift certificate to one of Savannah's premiere restaurants
- Concierge assistance to help with proposal plans. *Must call ahead to plan proposal site and details
Wormsloe State Historic Site 5 Feb 2014, 5:16 pm
Jeri - WSHS Ranger
Wormsloe State Historic Site
7601 Skidaway Road
Savannah, GA 31406
Savannah, GA St. Patrick’s Day 2014 5 Feb 2014, 4:44 pmSavannah’s St. Patrick’s Day Celebration 2014
March 17th: Savannah will truly paint the town green in honor of St. Patrick’s Day, a favorite holiday in Georgia’s First City. Named after Ireland’s beloved Patron Saint, St. Patrick’s Day enjoys a lively and spirited annual celebration in Savannah, in what has become one of the largest festivals in the Southeast.
The 2014 St. Patrick’s Day celebration will officially kick off on Sunday, March 2nd, Grand Marshal Public Investiture at the Savannah Civic Center at 2:45 p.m. St. Patrick’s Day is Monday, March 17th, St. Patrick’s Day Parade is Monday, March 17th, 2014. More than 300,000 people are expected to visit Savannah to help celebrate the second largest St. Patrick Day Parade in the United States and to enjoy the city-wide festivities. Held in Savannah’s National Landmark Historic District, the parade begins at the corner of Abercorn and Gwinnett Street and culminates at the corner of Bull and Harris Street.
Expect to see approximately 350 floats and marching units featuring representatives from various local Irish groups, Irish pipe bands, local and regional celebrities, area politicians and military units make regular appearances in Savannah’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade. You may even have the chance to drink green beer or to sample emerald-colored grits, for a true taste of St. Patrick’s Day, Savannah-style.
A beloved annual tradition, the first St. Patrick’s Day Parade marched through the shady streets of Savannah in 1813. In its earlier days, the parade was more of a military spectacle, with soldiers from various regiments marching in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. Except for major wars, including the Civil War and World War 1, the parade has run nearly every year for almost 200 years.
On Friday - Monday, March 14th - 17th, River Street will host the biggest party of the year with the popular St. Patrick’s Celebration on the River. This nationally-recognized festival features multiple stages of non-stop live entertainment, as well as interactive games, food, cold beverages and much more. Or join the folks at City Market for live music, food and fun as they celebrate all things Irish! Festivities begin on March 2nd and continue through March 17th.
The event on River Street is free and open to the public. Be sure to bring I.D. to prove that you are over 21 – and of course, don a bit o’green into the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day!
Savannah’s hospitality is truly the stuff of legend. You’ll feel right at home in the Hostess City of the South during St. Patrick’s Day weekend. Erin Go Braugh!
Information in this article is subject to change. For more information about St. Patrick’s Day events in Savannah, contact:
St. Patrick’s Day Parade Committee – 912-233-4804 – savannahsaintpatricksday.com
River Street – Savannah Waterfront Association – 912-234-0295 – riverstreetsavannah.com
City Market – Event Info-Line – 912-525-2489 – savannahcitymarket.com
St. Patrick’s Day Events Calendar:
Greening of the Fountain, Forsyth Park, 12 noon Friday, March 7th.
Celtic Cross Ceremony Sunday, March 9th.
Irish Heritage Dance, Alee Temple, 8 p.m. Friday, March 14th.
St. Patrick’s On The River Festival Friday thru Monday, March 14th thru 17th.
Saint Patrick’s Day Mass, Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, 8 a.m. Saturday, March 15th.
Tara Feis, Emmet Park, 11-5 p.m. Saturday, March 15th.
Tybee Island Parade 3 p.m. Saturday, March 15th.
Jasper Green Ceremony, Madison Square, 4:30 p.m. Sunday, March 16th.
2014 Saint Patrick’s Day Parade Monday, March 17th.
Savannah, GA Forsyth Park 5 Feb 2014, 4:36 pm
The photographer of this image, O. Pierre Havens, was born in Ossining, New York. He moved to Savannah in 1872, opening a photography studio in partnership with J. N. Wilson. He later took over the business from Wilson. In 1888, he relocated to Jacksonville, Florida, where he maintained a studio until his death in about 1912. Like many commercial photographers in America during the late nineteenth century, Havens was as occupied with publishing and marketing his photographs as he was in making them. Date:1872-1900
Savannah, GA Art Gallery 5 Feb 2014, 4:34 pmFor all the Art lovers:
Ben Tollefson Solo Exhibition
February 21 - March 4
Artist Reception: Friday, February 21
NON-FICTION ART GALLERY
1522 Bull Street,
Savannah, GA 31401
In the exhibition Pay No Attention to that Man Behind the Curtain at Non-Fiction, Ben Tollefson presents his thesis work as a painting MFA candidate. The show explores painting as an idiosyncratic constructed reality. Tollefson creates of an immersive world as a response to the simulacra one encounters every day—screens which are nothing more than mediators of data that represent recognizable things that serve as realer than real simulations of experience. With a penchant for vibrant bold color and pattern, Tollefson creates windows into an imagined place, one that is simultaneously beautiful and fake.
About the Artist:
“Through a distortion of bodies and uncertainty of spaces, I ask the viewer to reconsider reality…”
Ben Tollefson, a New Jersey native, lives and works in Savannah, Georgia. After graduating from Wisconsin Lutheran College with a fine art degree, he worked for three years in museum education at The Phillips Collection in Washington, D.C. As an MFA candidate of Savannah College of Art and Design, Tollefson has recently been creating paintings concerned with the tension between the real and artificial. He has exhibited in group shows in Georgia, Wisconsin, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Forsyth Park Inn Garden 31 Jan 2014, 10:26 am
Forsyth Park Inn Facebook 31 Jan 2014, 10:19 am
Savannah, Georgia Design District 30 Jan 2014, 2:45 pm
1. Custard Boutique - 422 Whitaker - 912.232.4733
Fashion forward women's clothing, shoes & accessories.
Mon-Sat 10:30-6; Sunday 12-5
2. James Hogan - 412 Whitaker - 912.234.0374
Women's couture & designer clothing.
3. Savannah Shoe Company - 412C Whitaker - 912.234.6355
Locally designed custom shoe boutique for ladies.
Mon-Sat 1:30-5; Sunday Seasonally
4. Small Pleasures - 412B Whitaker - 912.234.0277
Antique & estate jewelry.
5. Trunk 13 - 414 Whitaker - 912.349.4129
Women's apparel & accessories. Inspired by fashion. Driven by quality.
6. Alex Raskin Antiques - 441 Bull - 912.232.8205
"Most interesting store in Savannah" Antiques, accessories & paintings.
7. Arcanum - 346 Whitaker - 912.236.6000
Antiques, home furnishings & interior design.
8. Charles Brown Antiques - 14 W. Jones - 912.236.0732
Estate silver & antiques with a 19th century focus, Savannah art.
9. Everett and Cobb
18th, 19th & early 20th century antiques, accessories & art.
Tues-Sat 10-4:30, Sunday/Monday by appointment only
10. Limehouse Plantation - 120 E. Jones - 912.232.7212
Antiques, art, French pottery, architecturals & relics.
11. The Corner Door - 417 Whitaker - 912.238.5869
Antiques & Accessories. Two floors of Fine European furnishings & home decor. Tues-Sat 10-5
12. V. & J. Duncan - 12 E. Taylor - 912.232.0338 - vjduncan.com
Antique maps, prints & books.
Mon-Sat 10:30 - 4:30, Tuesday by chance.
13. Anne Hagerty Interiors - 415 Whitaker - 912.401.4350
A fresh look at interior design. Commercial & residential interiors. Located above Whitney Gallery, By Appointment Only
14. Carolyn Hultman Interior Design - 126 E. Taylor - 912.236.0111
A full service interior design firm.
By Appointment Only
15. Circa Lighting - 405 Whitaker - 912.447.1008
Antique reproduction and vintage modern lights.
16. D.Luxeome, Garden, Event - 413 Whitaker - 205.903.0352
Unique pieces from local artists & around the globe, interior & event design services.
17. No. Four Eleven - 411 Whitaker - 912.443.0065
Monogrammed luxuries, furniture, gifts & interior design.
Mon-Sat 10-5:30, Sunday 12-5 Seasonal
18. One Fish Two Fish - 401 Whitaker - 912.447.4600
Furniture & gifts from around the world, and upscale souvenirs.
Mon-Sat 10-5:30, Sunday 12-5
19. The Annex - 400 Whitaker - 912.484.1887
Circa lighting-reduced pricing on overstock and discounted One Fish Two Fish-Women's resort clothing & accessories.
20. Frieze - 1 W. Jones - 912.335.2289
Exotic gifts & jewelry fron Tibet, India, Bali, & beyond
Mon-Fri 11-5; Sun 12-5
21. Julia Christian Gallery (upstairs) - 114 W. Taylor - 912.234.1960
Fine decorative art and furnishings by Bob & Julia Christian.
22. ShopSCAD - 340 Bull - 912.525.5180
Artwork and designs by SCAD students, staff, faculty & alumni.
Mon-Wed 9-5:30; Thurs-Fri 9-8; Saturday 10-8
23. The Downstairs Gallery - 19 1/2 W. Gordon - 912/233/0920
Fine art, photography & jewelry.
24. Whitney Gallery - 415 Whitaker - 404.432.6616
Contemporary fine art.
Seasonally & by appointment only
25. E. Shaver Bookseller - 326 Bull - 912.234.7257
12 rooms of books, hardbacks & paperbacks.
26. Folklorico - 440 Bull - 912.232.9300
Treasures from the road less traveled. Fair Trade jewelry, gifts & artifacts.
Mon-Sat 10-5; Sunday seasonally
27. La Paperie - 409 Whitaker - 912.443.9349
Exquisite stationery, invitations & gifts.
Mon-Sat 10-5:30; Sunday seasonally
28. Madame Chrysanthemum - 101 W. Taylor - 912.238.3355
Floral design studio, eclectic jewelry & gifts.
29. Mercer House Carriage Shop - 430 Whitaker - 912.236.6352
Mercer Williams House museum & gifts.
Mon-Fri 10-4:30, Sunday 10:30-4:40 (tours daily)
30. Mrs Wilkes Boarding House - 107 W. Jones - 912.232.5997
Southern hospitality and cooking, served family style.
31. Measure: a fabric parlor - 311 Whitaker - 912.209.0942
Apparel, upholstery, vintage & drapery fabrics as well as leather, trimmings, notions & vintage items
Mon-Thurs 10:30ish-6; Fri-Sun 12-5.
Savannah, Georgia Elopements 30 Jan 2014, 2:39 pm
Forsyth Park Inn offers a beautiful elopement package ~ perfect for the couple seeking out a romantic destination venue!
Simply Savannah Garden Elopement
- Private garden ceremony reserved for up to 1 hour
- Experienced officiant to assist you through your vows
- Wedding coordinator to accomplish all wedding details pertaining to your Simply Savannah Garden Elopement; including day-of assistance
- Beautiful Bridal rose Bouquet, bride’s choice of color if available
- Matching Groom rose Boutonniere
- Delicious 2- tier mini wedding cake served in the garden or private quarters of your room
- Your choice of romantic rose petal and candle turn-down on honeymoon night or champagne
At least one night stay is required for all Simply Savannah Garden Elopement packages.
Two Nights stay required on weekends during high season.