The Magnolia Plantation Inn
Table Of Contents
Magnolia Plantation was the first Bed and Breakfast Inn in Gainesville. We now have a Bed and Breakfast District with our friends and family opening neighboring Inns. The Inn was built in 1885 and is a French Second Empire - the only one of its kind in Gainesville. The main house and 7 cottages are all located on 1.5 acres of gardens, and walking paths with ponds, waterfalls and Gazebo. The Cottages are all historic that we have accumulated over the years. We restored all the cottages with modern amenities. They all have kitchens, some with fireplaces and Jacuzzi’s. The Inn is perfect for family gatherings and small events.
Joe and Cindy and their Collie, Abbey live on the 3rd loor of the main house welcome you. Abbey gives kisses, Joe and Cindy just give really good hugs.
Gainesville's Magnolia Plantation Bed & Breakfast Inn and Cottages offer a variety of accommodations and packages - romantic weekend getaways, weekday business trips, family vacations, travel with pets, children and extended stays. Proprietors Joe and Cindy Montalto, who live in the third story of the Inn, provide a warm, friendly atmosphere, making guests feel like part of the family.
A full breakfast is served daily at your convenience. All guests choose from dining in the formal dining room, one of the open porches at the Inn or garden gazebo. Cottage guests also have the option to have breakfast delivered to their door. Complementary snacks and beverages are available throughout the day.
Every evening we offer social hour at the Inn with wine and snacks for all guests. You may also purchase a bottle of wine or champagne from the innkeepers. Children and pets are welcome in some of our cottages with prior approval.
Located minutes from historic downtown Gainesville, Fla., and less than two miles from the University of Florida campus, The Magnolia Plantation Inn and Cottages are perfect for business travel or pleasure trips. Housed in a friendly neighborhood with many historic homes, The Magnolia Plantation is a great beginning for an evening stroll or horse and carriage ride through the Southeast Historic District. With nearly 2 acres of land, the lush tropical gardens surrounding the Inn and Cottages feature brick walking paths, Charleston-style courtyards, fountains, ponds and waterfalls.
The three-story French Second Empire Inn is decorated in period furnishings and offers five bedchambers. Each room has a gas fireplace and a private bath with a claw foot tub. The Inn's unique architecture is the only example of its kind in the City of Gainesville, Fla., and one of the only examples in the entire Southeastern United States.
The Magnolia Plantation Cottages are decorated and furnished in the Country-, Craftsman- and Colonial-style. They provide more space and privacy for our guests. Most include a Jacuzzi tub and fireplace. All kitchens ;are equipped with cooking utensils and are-stocked with the basics.
Enjoy a night at the theater, an evening of chamber music, a day trip to the art museum and more. Gainesville has its own charm with an historic downtown in walking distance from The Magnolia Plantation. Our Inn's central location also provides easy access to other surrounding historic towns. Enjoy a day trip to one of the many quaint towns surrounding Gainesville. These towns feature shops, antiques, restaurants, beautiful homes and historic sites. Enjoy fresh air and experiencing nature first hand? How about visiting places of historical significance? Gainesville has a lot to offer. Pressed for time? There are a variety of ways to spend an enjoyable couple of hours in the Gainesville area.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Joe & Cindy Montalto for sharing their own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Parents visiting their students at UF, people visiting patients at Shands Hospital, people bringing their pets to the vet school, people passing through to South Florida, and people just getting away.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
Our private cottages, we are walking distance to downtown and we’re pet friendly. I love the people.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
Attention to detail and they feel like family when they leave.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
Butterfly Rainforest, Natural History Museum, LaChua trail, Devils Millhopper, Knapaha Botanical Gardens, and Hippodrome State Theater.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
Many fine locally owned restaurants.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Amelia’s Italian, Paramount Grill, and Five Bar.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference? How many rooms does your inn have?
5 rooms and 7 cottages.
Do you accept pets?
Pets are more than welcome in any cottages. Children must be approved…just kidding!
The Magnolia Plantation Inn
A magnificent Victorian Painted Lady built in 1885. It features beautiful gardens, a central foyer, period kitchen, formal dining room, two sitting rooms, and five beautiful guest rooms decorated in period furnishings. Each room is complete with a private bath, claw foot tub and fireplace. The first floor of the Inn offers two sitting parlors for your enjoyment and a formal dining room where a full breakfast is served each morning on your schedule.
- Children should be supervised on the property at all times
- Please do not allow them to run through the gardens
- If they are awake before 8:30 AM, and they need to play, they can go up the street to the Yellow House (The Laurel Oak Inn) and turn left. There is a playground that is only a 2 minute walk down that road. Some people come here to get away from their children. Please respect their need for relaxation and quiet-time
- Please do not allow children to jump on the furniture
- Please do not allow children to throw anything in the pond
- Do not allow children to play in or around the fountains; There are tubes that run around the fountains on which the children could trip and get seriously injured. Also, these tubes have a tendency to become dislodged, creating a hazard for people and children, as well as requiring a complete dismantling of the fountain
- Note: Many Inns do not allow children. We have the perfect set up for children but they must be well behaved. Please respect the rights of other guests who come here to relax.
- Pets should be on a leash at all times when they are on our property.
- Please clean up after your pet. We have plastic bags for your use. There are black trash cans with lids located throughout the yard for disposal.
- Please do not bring your pet to breakfast.
- If your pet is used to being on the furniture, please let us know and we will be happy to give you a blanket to put over the furniture.
- If your pet is use to sleeping in bed with you, please remove our bedspread and shams. Much of our bedding requires dry cleaning.
- Do not use our dishes for your pet to eat and drink out of. If you forgot your petsâ€™ dishes, let us know and we will loan you a set.
- If you leave your pet alone in your cottage, please make sure that they do not have separation anxiety. We will check for damage after your departure, and you will be charged for any damage caused by your pet.
- We will not service your cottage if you leave your pet alone in the cottage. If you want your cottage serviced, please let us know what time you will be taking your pet with you. We service the cottages between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM.
We just wanted to thank you for a great weekend getaway. Your Inn is spectacular…from the beautiful rooms and furniture to the quaint little pond and gazebo. The breakfasts and "treats" were especially tasty! Your hospitality and attention to the fine details made our stay in the Gardenia room even more enjoyable and romantic. We look forward to our next visit. —Vince and Melony
This was our 3rd annual anniversary stay and as always it was lovely. It truly feels like our home. We plan to make this a tradition for every year we are married. —Janice and Michael Brogun
This is one of the nicest B&B’s we’ve stayed in. Your friendly welcome, your good spirit, your attention to detail…made this one night stay memorable. We will see you soon. —Libby and John Hargrave