Zora Neil Hurston Suite
Decorated in tribute to Zora Neale Hurston, this second floor guestroom faces picturesque 16th street and is decorated in bold red hues. One of the largest rooms in the house, it is furnished with a Brass King sized bed, antique writing secretary, and mirrored armoire. The front bay window allows plenty of natural light. The private bath features a 2-person Jacuzzi tub and shower.
Toni Morrison Room
Nobel prize winner, 1993 for her collected works and Pulitzer Prize, 1988 for Beloved, Morrison is best noted for her “epic themes, vivid dialogue and richly detailed African American characters.” Located on the second floor, in the middle of the house, this room features a queen-sized bed, decorative fireplace, and private, shower only bath.
A queen-sized 4-poster canopy bed sets the tone of this second floor guestroom decorated honoring the romantic in all of us. Situated at the rear of the home, allowing for a quite peaceful nights sleep, or quiet respite from life's hectic pace. The private ensuite bath features a couple's shower with dual showerheads.
Poet and Playwright Langston Hughes is memorialized in this 3rd floor guestroom. Decorated in deep browns and greens, this room includes a small private balcony overlooking 16th street. The second of the largest rooms in the house, guests will find a king sized bed, decorative fireplace sitting area and ensuite private bath with 2 person Jacuzzi tub and shower.
Modern Classics Room
Located on the 3rd floor, this guest room offers a queen sized bed with upholstered headboard, and private shower only bath. Sleek trim decor, hardwood floors and decorative fireplace give this room a modern feel mixed with old world charm.
Best known for his Mystery novels featuring lead character Easy Rawlings, guests who stay in this suite often feel as though they are staying in Mr. Mosley's secret writing retreat. The Mosley Suite is located on the 3rd floor and rear of the home. The room offers a queen sized bed and twin daybed, decorative fireplace, writing desk and private bath with couple's shower with dual showerheads.
Be inspired with this 4th floor suite. Tucked in the eves of the home, yet bright with a large skylight, neutral tone and 2 windows, this room proves to be very popular with our guests looking for a little romance or pampering. The room is furnished with a king sized iron bed and sitting alcove with 2 wing back chairs. The ensuite bath is shower only, however an antique claw-foot soaking tub is tucked in the room, and perfect for a hot bubble bath.
Dedicated to one of your host's favorite genres, the Poetry Suite offers a library of collected favorite works. This 4th floor room, features 2 queen-sized beds, allowing comfortable sleeping accommodations for up to 4 guests. Natural light fills this room with a large window stretching almost the full width of the room. A large couch allows for a great place to catch up on your favorite book, or a pick from the room's collection.
The Writer's Suite
The Writer's Suite is a Garden level/English basement fully furnished, and private entranced efficiency apartment. The spacious main room is divided into sleeping and living quarters offering a cozy living room with a full sized leather sofa, armchair and TV with cable and DVD player. The bright front bay window has a dining table which also provides a great work space to catch up on email. Sleeping accommodations include a king sized bed and bureau and night stands at the back of the room. The apartment provides a galley style kitchen, with gas stove/oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, and all counter-top appliances. There is also a full bath. Breakfast and daily housekeeping are not provided with this unit. All bed and bath linens are provided. Wireless Internet is complimentary. Reserved off street parking is available behind the home by reservation for an additional $15 per night.
Rates & Policies
- Rates vary by season, and may also be changed or adjusted based on events here in Washington. Rates also vary by room selection, since each room is individually decorated. The rate information below is somewhat general; please click the “check availability” link for specific room availability and rates.
- Zora Neale Hurston and Langston Hughes Suites: $190-300.
- Romance and Walter Mosley Suites: $165-250
- Toni Morrison and Modern Classics Rooms: $150-205
- Inspiration Suite: $175-235
- Walter Mosley Suite: $175-235 for 2, $30 per night for each additional guest up to 3.
- Writer's Suite: $145-350.00
- Our rates are seasonal, and subject to change for special events.
- Minimum stays, especially in the Spring and Fall, may be required.
- Please click the check availability button or call 877-893-3233 for specific rates and availability.
- Bed and Breakfast Accommodations of Washington, DC, handles all reservations for the Washington, DC, location of Akwaaba Bed and Breakfast You will find their contact information below. We have used their service now for more than 2 years, they are an integral part of our operations in Washington, DC. Please direct all inquiries for Washington, DC, to Kathy, Alan or Steve, they will be happy to assist you in securing reservations. If you are interested in traveling to any of Akwaaba Bed and Breakfast's other locations Brooklyn, NY, Cape May, NJ or New Orleans, LA please visit the web site www.akwaaba.com