Captain's Inn at Moss Landing
Table Of Contents
Congratulations to the Captain's Inn at Moss Landing on receiving their certification from the Monterey Area Green Business Program. The Captain's Inn is the first certified green business in Moss Landing!Welcome to the Captain's Inn at Moss Landing
Enjoy wonderful waterfront views from the inn. View all sorts of wildlife including birds and harbor seals. Walk quiet beaches, relax and enjoy plush quality beds and pillows, luxuriate with massage and deep soaking tubs, and eat a generous breakfast including warm from the oven baked goodies.
We are located directly on the Tidal Channel. We are right next to the marshes where you see a wide variety of wildlife such as shorebirds, harbor seals, and even sea otters. The waterfront views are outstanding.
The Captain's Inn at Moss Landing has three buildings; two are used by our guests. There are a total of 10 guestrooms each with a different theme and decor. The beautiful historical building and the newly built boathouse are landscaped to enhance the serene atmosphere. Guestroom amenities make your stay a pleasant experience.
Private Bath ~ Queen/King Beds ~ Full Breakfast plus snacks
TV ~ Phone ~ High Speed Internet - Fresh Cookies for Each Room
The Boathouse is closest to the tidal marsh and has six guestrooms complete with boats. The boathouse has large viewshed windows, warm fireplaces, and looks out on the tides and sunsets. You can enjoy oversized luxury showers or two person deep soaking tubs with a showering accessory.
The histoircal building is fully renovated, and the interior highlights include the marvelous redwood moldings, redwood fireplace mantle, redwood staircase, and the original steamship company safe. The steamship company building includes a lovely nautical parlor with hardwood floors, antiques, and original brass chandelier fixtures. The first floor has one guestroom that is also handicap accessible. The second floor has a chart room and three additional guestrooms. All of these guestrooms are decorated with lovely antiques. The first floor also includes the windowed dining room that looks onto a patio and a kitchen where your breakfast is home cooked.
The Boathouse is closest to the river and has six guestrooms complete with boats. The boathouse has large view shed windows, warm fireplaces, and looks out on the tides and sunsets. You can enjoy oversized luxury showers or two person deep soaking tubs with a showering accessory.
Each room is a calm retreat for a restful and romantic stay. For guest comfort, we provide a full hot breakfast, feather pillows, cozy robes, plush top beds, quality bedding, private baths, spa sea salt soaks, and cookies. The rooms have a queen or king bed, private phone with voice mail, TV, radio alarm, climate control, openable windows, and pleasing views. There is a warming fireplace in 8 of our rooms
Waterfront view guestrooms are located right on the tidal channel in our Boathouse, and guestrooms decorated with antiques located within the Historic Pacific Coast Steamship Company building. There are 6 rooms on the tidal channel and 4 rooms in the historical building.
Our landscaping features native flora. Throughout the yard is a collection of the Captain's many boats. Back in steamship company days, those who were successful had large palm trees in their yard, and the inn has just such a signature 100 year old palm out front. At the entrance, there is also a small rose garden to greet you when you arrive. The shipyard in back is landscaped with local native plants and flowering drought resistant plants.At the Captain's Inn, we can cater brunches, small business meetings, and small dessert wedding receptions.
We are nearby Monterey and Santa Cruz, located in the middle of beautiful Monterey Bay, California. Very close to Mazda's Laguna Seca raceway, Carmel and Pebble Beach. Within a short walking distance to sandy beaches, the Pacific Ocean, harbor, dining, antique shopping, Elkhorn Slough Safari, birding hot spots, whale watching, hiking trails, marine research labs, state parks, wetlands, sand dunes, sport fishing boats, art galleries, live music at local venues, jogging paths, and historic sites.
Relax in the romantic and cozy settings with plush top beds, soaking tubs or romance showers, fresh flowers, and glowing fireplaces. Snuggle and cuddle under comforters and quilts with feather pillows. Home cooked breakfasts include traditional recipes from German Grandmothers. We provide an early evening snack Thursday through Saturday by request.
For Our Guest's Comfort the Captain's Inn Offers Home cooked breakfast,
or early bird brown bag breakfast to go
Private bath, phone, free high speed internet connection,
voice mail, hair dryer, radio, alarm and TV in each room
Many local activities and adventures
Free Wine Tasting guides
Reading library, local guidebooks, local menus guide, and box games
Massage is available with advance notice
Rooms include luxury soaps, bath crystals, and shampoo by Gilchrist and Soames
Artichoke dining self-guided tour
We try to accommodate dietary restrictions, please let us know
Small meetings can be accommodated and larger meeting locations can be arranged
Weddings, business groups, reunions, anniversaries, birthdays
ADA accessible guestroom
Smoke free indoors, outdoor smoking area
Business services such as photocopy, fax, newspaper, meeting area
Wildlife Tour Discounts
Sorry No PetsWe look forward to having you enjoy the hospitality and comfort of the Captain's Inn at Moss Landing.
Breakfast at the Captain's Inn is created from delightful fresh ingredients and served in generous portions. Awaken to the aroma of perfectly roasted Kona coffee brewing and a daylight brightened dining room with cheerful gingham and lace. Or help yourself to a steaming cup of our variety of teas or gourmet cocoas, and sip while viewing birds at our water fountain by the window. Then sit and relax while we bring you a lovely three course breakfast with juices. We always start with something fresh baked in our oven such as pastries, scones or muffins and follow with fresh fruit including our locally grown sweet strawberries (when available). The breakfast main course varies between our sweet and savory recipes; you may have apricot waffles with honey ham, messy spinich eggs with german sausage, sweet potato pancakes with bananas and cream and chicken apple sausage, prawns with eggs, our zesty yet mild huevos rancheros, or many other recipes. Our recipes have been published in "The Great Country Inns of American Cookbook" and in "California Bed & Breakfast Cookbook".
Cooking For The Captain
Moss Landing, CA - "Cooking For The Captain", a family recipe collection
by Melanie Gideon was released in October 2007.
This collection of 115 recipes has many of the delicious and hearty menu items for which the bed and breakfast is praised. There is stuffed french toast with peaches and pecans, or the avocado fiesta egg scramble. Plus there are Melanie's German Family traditions, such as homemade noodle dishes, that are unique and tasty.
This cookbook includes appetizers, breads, noodles, soups, main courses, seafood (especially many ideas for fresh fish), sauces, snacks and desserts. The yummy cookies and delicious pies are a highlight.
Cooking For the Captain includes background pages with photographs and recipe notes that make it a fun cookbook to browse. These give insight into the care and love behind these recipe traditions. The book honors daughters, mothers, grandmothers, fathers and others who pass on cooking traditions.
Melanie grew up in North Monterey County. She is a graduate of Salinas High School and the Master's program at Moss Landing Marine Laboratories. She loves cooking for her "Captain" and family. Captain Yohn pilots Elkhorn Slough Safari nature tours.
The Cookbook is $13.50 retail plus tax, and can be purchased online at www.captainsinn.com or by calling 831-633-5550, or at amazon.com
Captain's Inn at Moss Landing received their certification from the Monterey Area Green Business Program. The Captain's Inn is the first certified green business in Moss Landing! Captain's Inn is the 8th Hospitality company to receive Green Business certification in Monterey County. The Captain's Inn has been working with Monterey County Health Department.
At the Captain's Inn at Moss Landing, we are striving to do our part to help with the care of our planet. We are incorporating practices into our operation; we built responsibly; and we offer "green" options to our guests. Below is just a sampling of the green choices we make and have invested in.
Steps Taken by the Captain's Inn:
- Restored and Recycled a historical building
- We have adopted and clean up a two mile stretch of Coastal Highway One for CalTrans. We pick up all of the trash on both sides of the highway, at least once a month, for over 6 years.
- Property is landscaped with mostly native plants (many genetically native) and drought resistance plants. Much of landscaping is under drip irrigation system. Soils for landscaping obtained from recycled materials at our local dump.
- Energy efficient and rated hot water systems, refrigeration, freezers, wall heaters, and fireplace systems. Natural air conditioning (windows and fans) with reduced energy use.
- Using botanical and no phosphate cleaners where ever and whenever possible.
- Low wattage bulbs in most locations. Lights on timers to reduce use. We use low level outdoor lights to minimize light pollution at night.
- Decorating and furnishing interiors with antiques rather than brand new. We reused old windows and created mirrors.
- Decorative fountains recycle flow and do not have chemicals so birds can use this for drinking.
- All buildings are fully insulated and with double pane windows to reduce heating and cooling needs.
- Chose recycled materials during construction such as hardiplank boards for siding, re-used redwood studs, recycled fencing materials, reused hardware such as doorknobs and hinges, and historical bricks cleaned and re-used.
- We sort and recycle materials used at the inn including aluminum, glass, plastic, cardboard, and paper. Each guest room has a recycle bin to use to separate their recyclables into. Also the dining room and kitchen have recycle bins. We separate plant material such as cutting from landscaping for recycling.
- Water conservation measures are in place and include lowflow toilets, lowflow shower heads, and efficient dishwasher and clotheswasher. Further our guests help choose, as we only replace towels/linens as requested and when needed - rather than every single day. We sweep more often than wash down the yard. We try to repair all leaks in a timely manner. We pay into a sewer system that recycles flow through tertiary treatment for reuse by industrial landscape.
- We support local non-profits that invest in the preservation of wild open spaces around our community. This support goes to groups like the Elkhorn Slough Foundation, The Nature Conservancy. the Friends of Moss Landing Marine Labs, and others.
- Employee training program on recycling, conservation, safe environmental practices, and appreciation of wildlife.
- We provide places for travelers by bike. We rent bikes to those who want to explore our area without a car.
- We keep and use a composting box
- We emphasize wildlife experiences and understanding for our guests and ourselves.
- We and our staff take part and support efforts like the Coastal Clean Up days at the local beaches and the weeding of non-natives from the marsh and dunes; and we invite our guests to join in.
We can accommodate small organized groups with lodging for up to approximately 20 adults. These include: Business Retreats, Birding Groups, Reunions, Clubs, and Weddings. There are larger nearby meeting buildings that can be rented in connection with your function. Group stays and events require booking more than one night and an advance deposit by check. Please call and ask us for information on group reservations and rates.
We are experts at creating a romantic atmosphere. We can help make that engagement proposal special or that anniversary one to remember. Flowers, chocolates, carriage rides, music, photographs. Be sure to ask us in advance for assistance with romantic planning.
You can have an unique and special wedding ceremony at the Captain's Inn at Moss Landing. The inn can be reserved to provide an exclusive and private event for your wedding day which is perfect for small weddings. You can hold the wedding on our outdoor overlook or in our elegant parlor. Our Captain can officiate at your wedding or you may bring the clergy of your choice. Vow renewals too. We can provide flowers, photographer, cakes, catering, carriages, music, and more. Please contact us for details.
A Featured "wedding reception site" by Bridal Guide Magazine