Down By The River Bed and Breakfast
Table Of Contents
At the end of the day, relax on the porch as the sun sets and watch the flocks of birds as they fly to their roosts for the night in the cottonwoods along the San Pedro River, while the background of Arizona hues in purple and pinks reflecting from Cochise's Stronghold grow stronger.
Down By The River Bed and Breakfast, the lodging hub of Cochise County, is a 15 acre property that borders the San Pedro River and is within sight of the northern end of the world famous San Pedro National Riparian Area. The San Pedro, the last free flowing river in Arizona, is one of the best bird areas within the United States. The birding in the area is very good with the river within walking distance of the b and b.
The Santa Fe style home offers views of mountains on all sides. To the east is Cochise's Stronghold, a part of the Dragoon Mountains where Cochise was buried. To the south are the Huachuca Mountains and the Tombstone Hills. To the west are the Whetstone Mountains, home of Kartchner Caverns State Park.
The great room features American Indian artifacts for your viewing pleasure. You may want to sit and watch satellite TV or listen to music next to a crackling fire in one of the two fireplaces. You can play pool on the oversized table, read about the history of Arizona, or peruse the astronomy or birding books from the library that is available. You may want to sit on the porch and watch the sunsets with unfettered views, and at night use the inns Dobsonian telescope.
In the morning, wake to fresh coffee and fruit smoothie followed by a full breakfast.
Down By The River is within a short drive of the following areas:
- Fort Bowie
- Agua Prieta, Mexico
- Fort Huachuca
- Kartchner Caverns
- The Amerind Foundation
- White Water Draw Birding
- Gammons Gulch Movie Set
- Arizona wine country
- Cochise's Stronghold
- Bisbee Copper Queen Mine
- Chiricahua National Monument
- Huachuca Mountains
How to Find Us
From Interstate 10 Eastbound
- Use Exit 303 at Benson and follow Arizona 80 through town.
- The road splits at the end of town follow the split to the right and continue on Arizona 80 to Tombstone and Douglas.
- Drive south approximately 6 miles to Apache Powder Road, just after milepost 298.
- Apache Powder Rd veers off to the right as AZ 80 veers toward the left and continues to Tombstone.
- Travel down Apache Powder Road 5.2 miles.
- Continue on Apache Powder until it ends and you are forced to turn left onto Escalante.
- Go east on Escalante over the rail road tracks and continue through the open gate (there is a sign at the gate that states "DMR Ranch" "Road Closed No Trespassing or Hunting").
- Continue straight down the road past the cut off power poles for approximately 1 mile to Efken Place.
- Turn left onto Efken and proceed to Down By The River at 2255 Efken Place.