This is a delightful pancake recipe that is fancy enough (and easy enough) to merit a "breakfast in bed" quality rating!
This recipe is great with your favorite fruit or fruit syrup.
1 C + 2T Flour
3 T Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
5 Lemons, Zest of
1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
3 Eggs, seperated
3/4 C Ricotta Cheese (non fat works)
6 T Buttermilk
6 T Butter (unsalted), melted
2 T Fresh Lemon Juice
1 tsp Real Vanilla
- In a bowl mix together the flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and lemon zest.
- In a small bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, butter milk, melted butter, lemon juice, real vanilla, and egg yolks...whisk until smooth.
- Add the egg and cheese mixture to the flour mixture, and blend until smooth. The batter will be heavy and dense.
- In a bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- CAREFULLY fold in the egg whites into the batter. Do not mix until the batter is fully combined. A few dots of egg white is ok.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Prepare the griddle or large nonstick frying pan with cooking spray and place on the stove at medium heat.
- When the pan or griddle is hot, spoon about 3/4 to 1 C of batter on to the pan and smooth to a pancake, about 5 inches to 6 inches in diameter.
- Cook until large bubbles form on top. About 2-4 minutes.
- Turn pancakes and cook until the remaining side is golden brown.
- When fully cooked, remove pancake from pan to a warm dish and keep warm until all pancakes are complete.
- Great served with your favorite fruit syrup and a sprinkle
of confectioners' sugar.