Ingredients for Tart:
All purpose flour for work service
1 pound package puff pastry dough
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups pastry cream
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
2 six ounce containers of fresh raspberries
or 1 quart strawberries, rinsed and dried
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
Ingredients for Pastry Cream: (must be done day of)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon corn starch
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
4 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter -- cut into pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Prepare an ice bath.
- Combine cornstarch, flour, 1/2 cup sugar and salt in bowl. In another bowl whisk the eggs until smooth. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and whisk.
- Combine milk and remaining sugar in medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium high heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and whisk constantly. Slowly pour into egg mixture while whisking, Return to heat and bring to a boil while stirring until thickened, about 3 minutes. Transfer to large heat proof bowl, set in ice bath, cool completely and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place puff pastry on lightly floured clean work surface, and gently roll out to a 9x18 inch rectangle about 1/8 inch thick.
- Trim edges even and then trim off four strips or one from all sides.
- Transfer the large piece to a baking sheet and pierce all over with a fork. Brush with the egg mixture and lay the cut strips over edges, overlapping the ends. Brush strips with egg wash and overlapping edges.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400. Bake pastry tart shell for about 15 minutes or until well browned and puffed. Remove from oven and press center down with a balled up kitchen towel. Bake 5 more minutes in oven and then press again if needed. Then, cool.
- Whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Fold into pastry cream mixture. Spread mixture over bottom of cooled puff pastry tart shell.
- Arrange berries in neat rolls covering the pastry cream. Dust with the powdered sugar and slice and serve.
- Garnish with mint leaves.