Crab BisqueFrom WHITESTONE COUNTRY INN
• 1 White Onion (Fine Diced)
• 2 Salary Stalks (Fine Diced)
• 1 Medium Carrot (Fine Diced)
• 2 Quarts of Hot Water
• 3 Tablespoons of Lobster Base for Seafood Base
• 2 Quarts of Heavy Cream
• 11 Ounces of Butter (Reserve 2 Ounces)
• 9 Ounces of Flour
• 1/4 Cup of White Wine
• 1-2 Shallots
• 15 Cloves of Garlic
• 24 Ounces of Crab Meat
• 2 Tablespoons of Old Bay
• Salt and Pepper to Taste
Method of Production:
1. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil and add 3 tablespoons of lobster base. Whisk until combined and turn off heat.
2. Combine 9 ounces of butter and flour in a stockpot over medium heat while whisking together. Cook roux until dark blond stage. This will take about 45 min. over medium low heat stirring the entire time! Roux will burn quickly!
3. While cooking the roux, sauté the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, and shallots over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
4. Deglaze this pan with the ¼ cup of white wine. Cook for 1-2 more min. and remove from heat.
5. After roux has reached its dark blonde state begin to add the 2 quarts of hot stock in batches of 4 (2 cups at a time), whisking the entire time to prevent lumps. Once all the stock is incorporated whisk in the heavy cream, crab meat, and sautéed vegetables.
6. Add 2 tablespoons of Old Bay and a few cracks of fresh black pepper.