French Onion SoupFrom WHITESTONE COUNTRY INN
• 3 Pounds of Yellow Onions (Julienne)
• 3 ½ Quarts of Hot Chicken Stock
• 2 Ounces of Butter
• ½ Teaspoon of Thyme
• ½ Teaspoon of Parsley
• ½ Teaspoon of Crushed Peppercorns
• 1 Bay Leave
• 1 Teaspoon of Banquet Seasoning (optional)
Method of Production:
1. Melt 2 ounces of butter in a stockpot over medium low heat.
2. Add onions and cook slowly stirring often until tender and slightly browned. About 45 min.
3. Add the hot chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
4. While waiting for simmer combine Thyme, Parsley, Bay Leave, and Peppercorns in cheesecloth and make a Sachet to put in soup.
5. Once simmer is reached add the sachet to the soup and let cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and remove the Sachet.
7. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. (You can also add the banquet seasoning at this point for a richer and heartier soup.)