Recipe featured in American Profile Magazine
1/2 loaf French bread, sliced (crusts removed)
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (Applewwod Smoked bacon is particularly good if you can get it)
4 scallions, chopped
8 medium eggs
1 1/3 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme or basil
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/3 cup white wine
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3/4 cup sour cream (or creme fraiche, if you can find it)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmeggioano Reggiano cheese
Paprika to taste
>Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cover bottom with bread slices and sprinkle cheeses, thyme/basil,bacon and scallions over bread.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, milk, wine, mustard, sour cream, nutmeg and peppers until foamy.
- Pour mixture evenly over the cheese and bread.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in a 325-degree oven for 45 minutes or until set.
- Remove foil and sprinkle omelet with Parmesan cheese and paprika.
- Return uncovered to the oven and bake until lightly browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Tip: If recipe is prepared the night before, cover tightly with foil and refrigerate. In the morning, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, still covered, before baking.