Cream Cheese Stuffed French ToastFrom SCHOOL HOUSE BED & BREAKFAST INN
Cooking Time:25 minutes
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla or lemon extract
- 6 double slices of French bread (usually you can get this from one loaf)
- 3 oz pkg cream cheese or orange flavored cream cheese
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries or red raspberries
- Powdered sugar (for garnish)
- Spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese between 2 partilly sliced pieces of French bread and gently press together to seal.
- (Option: You also spread a little orange marmalade over the cream cheese for variety).
- Place bread in baking dish.
- Beat eggs in mixing bowl. Add milk, vanilla, nutmeg, beat well.
- Pour egg mixture over bread making sure surface of bread slices is covered.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover baking dish, bake approximately 25 minutes until top of toast is light golden.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter on low heat. Add brown sugar and orange juice. On medioum heat, bring to gentle boil, then add fruit. Simmer until heated through. Ladle over baked toast garnish with powdered sugar and serve immediately. Serves 6