Pan Seared Twelve-Spiced Beef TenderloinFrom RABBIT HILL INN
With smoked gouda & sweet sausage risotto. From the recipe files of Executive Chef Russell Stannard
Spice Mix for the Beef:
(yields 12 Tbls; use 1 Tbls per serving)
2 1/2 Tbls salt
2 Tbls cumin
1/2 Tbls ground mustard
1/4 Tbls cayenne pepper
1 1/2 Tbls garlic powder
1 Tbls ground thyme
1 1/2 Tbls white pepper
1/2 Tbls allspice
1/2 Tbls paprika
1/4 Tbls ground clove
1 Tbls ground oregano
Mix these dry ingredients very well.
Keep covered and refrigerated when not in use.
- Season six 8oz. steaks with one tablespoon of the spice mix.
- The longer the spice mix is on the meat, the deeper the flavors will penetrate.
- Heat 2 oz. of oil in a sauté pan. Sear steak for 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the steak to a wire rack in a 325° oven and cook for 12-15 minutes (or to your desired doneness).
- Cooking time may vary with size and cut of meat.
- Remove from oven and let steak sit in a warm area for about 5 minutes.
For the Risotto:
(yields 2 quarts)
1/4 lb. butter
1 1/2 cups minced onion
2 cups risotto
2 Tbls salt
1/2 cup fresh herbs, minced
1 cups sweet Italian sausage, (cooked and finely chopped)
2 1/2 Tbls minced garlic
1/2 cup minced celery
2 cups chicken stock
2 tsp pepper
1 cup smoked gouda, grated
- In the butter, sauté the minced garlic, onions, and celery over medium heat for 7-10 minutes.
- Add in 2 cups of risotto and reduce the heat to low.
- Add in chicken stock a little at a time stirring completely until liquid is almost complete absorbed.
- Continue to add the stock until the rice is of a soft consistency.
- Turn off the heat and add the salt, pepper, herbs, gouda, and sausage.
- Incorporate well until the cheese is melted.