Handmade Sweet Corn Ice CreamFrom RABBIT HILL INN
5 ears fresh sweet corn
4 cups heavy cream
1 cup of sugar
7 egg yolks
2 cups half and half
Vanilla Bean, split
- First cut the raw kernels from the ears of corn.
- Place the kernels, the cobs, and the split vanilla bean, in the heavy cream and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add one cup of sugar, bring back to boil and remove from heat. Remove the cobs and vanilla bean
- In a blender, puree this cream mix with the kernels until fully pureed. Return to the heat and simmer
- In a bowl, add some of the hot mixture to the eggs yolks while whipping.
- Return this egg mixture to the boiling puree stirring constantly until it lightly thickens.
- Strain through a chinois or fine mesh strainer.
- Add cold half and half and cool mixture in fridge.
- Freeze this mix according to your ice cream freezer directions.
- Enjoy all the applause and compliments that will come your way.