Rabbit Hill Inn Corn & Rye Whiskey SoupFrom RABBIT HILL INN
*Need blender for this recipe
2 medium onions, sliced
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Qt Heavy cream
1 cup white wine
1 cup Rye Whiskey
Salt & pepper
Corn Stock (recipe follows below)
- In a large pot, heat a thin layer of oil. Add garlic and sliced onion. Over medium heat, sweat onion and garlic until softened
- Add corn kernels. Sauté lightly.
- Remove pan from heat. Add wine and whiskey.
- Return to medium heat and reduce by 2/3rds
- Add cream and reduce by ½
- Let cool slightly. Then place your corn & cream mixture into blender. Blend until smooth.
- As you blend, add your corn stock to achieve desired consistency. Work this process in batches if needed.
- Once desired consistency is reached, and all batches are together, add salt & pepper to taste
This delicious soup is ready to serve.
Ingredients for corn stock
12 cobs of fresh sweet corn
3-6 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 Tbsp whole black peppercorns
1 medium onion, quartered
Method – corn stock
- Remove the corn kernels from cobs. Set kernels aside. Reserve cobs.
- Place cobs in a pot just large enough to hold them and cover with cold water.
- Add thyme, peppercorns, one quartered onion.
- Bring to gentle boil, then reduce to simmer for 40 -60 minutes (or until you have a nice corn flavored stock.
- Strain and set aside