We always like to have some type of cake as well as cookies waiting for guests when they arrive. This cake is
perfect late in the afternoon with a cup of coffee or tea – dense, flavorful and not overwhelming sweet.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, cut into small pieces
6 apples, peeled, thinly sliced. I used Granny Smith.
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 box yellow cake mix
1 1/3 cups water
1/3 cup oil
1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom and sides of 13×9-inch pan with baking spray with flour.
2. In medium bowl, stir together flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar and the salt. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
3. In another medium bowl, gently stir together Apple Mixture ingredients; set aside.
4. In large bowl, beat Cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
5. Spread apple mixture evenly over cake batter. Sprinkle Topping evenly over top.
6. The original recipe said to bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. In my oven it took close to 45 minutes. I took it out when it golden brown at the edges but there were a few crumbs on the tooth pick/
7. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
8. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar if you wish but it is not necessary.