2 tablespoons sliced almonds
2 3-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
12 slices cinnamon-raisin bread
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons butter or margarine ( 1/2 stick )
sliced pear and seedless grapes for garnish
maple or maple-flavored syrup
About 20 minutes before serving:
- In 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, toast almonds until golden brown, stirring
frequently. Remove almonds from skillet; set aside.
- In small bowl, with spoon, mix cream cheese and 2 tablespoons milk until blended.
Evenly spread cream-cheese mixture on 6 slices cinnamon-raisin bread; top with remaining
bread slices to make 6 sandwiches.
- In pie plate, beat eggs, sugar , vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup milk until blended.
- In same skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons butter or margarine (1/4 stick)
until melted. Dip 3 sandwiches, one at a time, in egg mixture and arrange sandwiches in
skillet; cook until browned on both sides, turning once. Repeat with remaining 3 sandwiches
and 2 tablespoons butter or margarine.
- To serve, cut each sandwich diagonally in half; sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and
toasted almonds. Garnish with sliced pear and seedless grapes. If you like, serve with maple
syrup. Makes 6 servings. About 390 calories per serving without maple syrup.