An award-winning biscuit recipe: Cooking.com; HGTV.com; ProjectFoodie.com; University of Georgia Hospitality Center.
This biscuit recipe comes from the Holladay Family - the family that owned the house from 1899 - 2000. The grandchildren inherited the house and turned it into the Holladay House B&B in 1989. They have shared their family's biscuit recipe with two successive innkeepers and we now share it with you!
1. Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
3. Cut in the 1 stick of chilled butter until mixture resembles large coarse crumbs.
4. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; add buttermilk all at once and stir just until dough clings together.
5. Gently roll out, fold over and roll out dough about 9 times on a floured surface.
6. Pat dough out to 1/2-inch thick. Cut dough with a 2-inch biscuit cutter or glass.
7. Brush biscuit tops with 1 T melted butter.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.