6 plum tomatoes
Extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 pound small potatoes (Yukon gold, purple Peruvian, small reds, etc.)
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
1/2 pound haricot verts (thin French green beans) — or use fiddlehead ferns
4 six-ounce salmon fillets, boneless and skinless
4 eggs, hard boiled and cut in half lengthwise
1/2 cup olives (niçoise or kalamata), pitted and halved
Whole Grain Mustard Dressing (recipe below)
4 sprigs fresh tarragon for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush the paper with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil.
- Core and cut the plum tomatoes in half lengthwise and place them cut side up on the baking sheet. Drizzle the tomatoes with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle the tomatoes with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake in the preheated oven for 2 hours.
- Place the small potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water and 1 Tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove immediately from the hot water and cool slightly. Cut the potatoes in half or quarters, depending on their size (you want bite-sized pieces) and place in an ovenproof pan or baking sheet. Drizzle the potatoes with 2 Tablespoons olive oil, salt, pepper and the rosemary. Roast in the 375-degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil with 1 Tablespoon salt. At a boil add the haricot verts and blanch for 1 minute. Remove immediately to an ice bath to cool.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat. Lightly coat the salmon fillets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the salmon for 3 minutes on each side (depending on the thickness of the fillets) or until it is barely cooked through. Don’t overcook the salmon or it will dry out.
- Heat the haricot verts in a small sauté pan with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place a mound of potatoes in the center of each plate. Top the potatoes with the haricot verts and the grilled salmon fillet. Place 3 roasted tomato halves and 2 egg halves around the salmon and sprinkle with some of the halved olives. Ladle the warm dressing over the salmon and garnish with a sprig of fresh tarragon.
Whole Grain Mustard Dressing
2 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
2 Tablespoons white wine
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons champagne vinegar
1 Tablespoon capers, lightly chopped
1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon each herb (chives, tarragon, Italian parsley), coarsely chopped
- Place all of the ingredients (except the fresh herbs) in a small saucepan and heat up to a simmer, just before serving.
- Stir in the fresh herbs and serve.