1 lb Meyer lemons
1 tbsp Meyer lemon juice
10 thin Meyer lemon slices for garnish
1 tsp butter (for greasing pan)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups whole almonds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 eggs, separated
1-1/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup candied or crystallized ginger, finely diced
1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Cook lemons in saucepan on stove for about 30 minutes, until softened. Drain and cool. Quarter lemons, remove seeds, and whirl in a food processor to a thick puree.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch springform pan with removable side. Pulse almonds in food processor until finely ground. In mixing bowl, combine flour, almonds, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, lemon puree, and almond extract. Add ginger. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a separate bowl. Mix lemon puree and flour mixture until well blended. Fold in egg whites.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until edges are brown. Cool, remove sides.
- Mix glaze ingredients: powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, in small bowl. Spread over cooled cake and serve. Garnish with lemon slices.