NOTE: ingredients are VERY flexible...this is a great dish to use up leftovers in the fridge!
2 TBS veg. oil
1 lb bulk sausage or chorizo (or, for vegetarians - SOYrizo or fake sausage crumbles)
8 oz mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 cup cooked rice (brown or white)
1/2 cup canned black beans (optional)
1/2 cup canned corn (optional)
1 cup fresh salsa, drained
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, or Monterey jack cheese or a combo of both -- shredded
2 TBS chopped cilantro or parsley
- Heat veg oil in large skillet, brown sausage or chorizo, making sure to crumble it (use the back of a wooden spoon or fork).
- Once sausage is browned, mix in mushrooms, black beans, corn, and rice. Heat for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir in drained salsa and sour cream, and let simmer for about 7 minutes.
- Using the back of a wooden spoon or spatula, flatten the mixture into an even surface in the pan.
- Crack the 6 eggs around the sausage mixture, creating a circle of eggs around the inside edge of the pan. Crack the 7th egg in the middle of the pan and cover, turning heat to low.
- Cook for 8 minutes on low heat, covered. After 8 minutes, remove pan from heat, sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over the top of the "casserole" and cover for 3 minutes, so that the cheese can melt.
- Salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle chopped cilantro or parsley on top. Slice like a pie and serve hot!