Strawberry Creek Inn’s Herb-Baked EggsFrom PHIPPS INN BED AND BREAKFAST
Cooking Time:15 to 20 minutes
- 6 large eggs
- 4 slices ham (each about 1/4-inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard (I suggest Dijon or spicy brown)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 & 1/2 cups shredded cheese (a combination of sharp cheddar mixed with Asiago, Parmesan, or other similar cheese), divided
- 4 teaspoons fresh herbs (any combination of basil, thyme, chives or parsley), divided
- salt and pepper to taste
(as prepared and photographed for Strawberry Creek Inn B&B’s upcoming cookbook)
Ingredients to make 4, individual servings of Herb-Baked Eggs
Spray 4 au gratin dishes with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Line each dish with a ham slice. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of fresh herbs atop each ham slice. Evenly layer a generous sprinkling of cheese atop fresh herbs and ham.
In a bowl, beat eggs with the mustard, yogurt and nutmeg. Gently pour (or spoon) egg mixture over the top of ham, herbs and cheese already in each dish; divide mixture evenly amongst servings. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes, or until eggs* are completely set in center. *If you notice edges of eggs beginning to brown before center is set, cover lightly with strips of aluminum foil to prevent over-browning, much like you would a pie crust.
Note: Feel free to substitute turkey ham or vegetarian sausage patties for the ham in this dish if needed or required.