The Best of Everything Baked French ToastFrom THE INN ABOVE ONION CREEK
Cooking Time:45 minutes
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Sliced bread, preferably French or cinnamon raisin (feel free to experiment)
- Cream cheese
- Berries or thinly sliced, peeled apples
- Walnuts or pecans, chopped, or sliced almonds
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cup milk (may need to adjust amount, depending on density of bread used)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For one 9" x 12" pan (about 6 servings)
Place butter, brown sugar and maple syrup in a dish that can go in the microwave and in a conventional oven. Microwave until butter is melted (about two minutes). Stir to dissolve sugar and mix ingredients well. Sprinkle nuts over this mixture.
Spread cream cheese on half of the bread slices. Place berries or apple slices on this, then top with the plain bread slices to make a "sandwich". Cut in half diagonally. Place in baking pan. Do not overlap slices.
Mix eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour over bread.
Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes, uncovered. Flip over to serve, so the syrup side is up.
Can top with powdered sugar, fruit or additional syrup, if desired.