Oatmeal Carrot Apple Breakfast CakeFrom LUCILLE'S MOUNTAIN TOP INN & SPA
Cooking Time:45 minutes
Yield:Makes 12 servings
- 1 3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups grated peeled carrots (about 4 medium carrots)
- 1 cup grated peeled apples (about 2 medium apples)
- 2 cups walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
Place the oats, flour, flaxseeds, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a medium-size bowl and stir to combine.
Whisk brown sugar and oil together in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and beat well. Stir in the buttermilk.
Add the oat mixture to the buttermilk mixture, and stir to combine. Add the carrots and apples, and stir just until blended. Pour the batter to the prepared baking dish.
Place the walnuts, coconut, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl and stir to blend. Sprinkle the evenly over the batter.
Bake until the cake has set and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Then cut into 12 pieces. (Squares can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.)