Smiling Bear's 'Nourishing Indulgence' SmoothieFrom MOUNTAINS TO PRAIRIES BED AND BREAKFAST
Yield:2 to 4
- 1/2 banana, peeled
- 1 small orange or 1 or 2 tangerines, peeled
- 1/2 kiwi, peeled (or not peeled)
- 1/2 c fresh (or frozen) blueberries / strawberries / blackberries (pick one)
- 2 medium carrots or 1 large, chunked
- 1 to 2 curly leaves of fresh kale, stem removed spinach or mixed lettuce greens may be substituted or added, but majority cruciferous preferred
- 4 to 6 chunks fresh pineapple
- 4 to 6 chunks fresh papaya
- 6 to 10 oz peach-mango coconut water* or purified water, but coconut water is nutritionally an asset
- 1/2 c Pom Wonderful pomegranate juice or bilberry juice* (which is like blueberry juice)
- 1/2 c purple carrot juice* if available, or substitute orange-mango juice or other unsweetened juice
- 2 tsp unflavored gelatin optional, but they say good for joints, nails, skin, hair
Blend until smooth, at least one minute.
Serves 2 to 4.
Use only juices that are unsweetened.
Coconut water, from the interior of the coconut, should not be confused with coconut milk which is squeezed from the coconut meat. We like to use Vita-Coco's Coconut Water with Peach and Mango.
Coconut water, bilberry juice and purple carrot juice may be found in some supermarkets and most health food stores. We like to use Bionaturae's organic Bilberry Nectar. We like to use Lakewood's organic Purple Carrot Juice.
Hint: In advance, we freeze berries, and pineapple and papaya chunks, ready to add to the blender, providing a nice smooth cold texture. We do not freeze huge quantities, though, as the natural enzymes will dissipate over time. If you can't find either the papaya or the pineapple, just use one or the other...though both are ideal.