Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread CookiesFrom THE KING'S DAUGHTERS INN
Prep Time:32 bars
Cooking Time:25 to 30 minutes
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
These are perhaps the best cookies on the planet! And we're not joking! Soft, chewy, spiced ginger and chocolate. What's not to love!
Chop chocolate into 1/4 inch chunks and set aside.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cocoa.
In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar, beat until combines. Add molasses, beat until combined.
In a small bowl dissolve baking soda in 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture. Mix in chocolate, turn out onto plastic wrap, wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or more.
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll in sugar. Place on baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes.