Golden Pumpkin BreadFrom JAMES PLACE INN BED AND BREAKFAST
Cooking Time:35 minutes
1 c. milk
1 c. canned pumpkin
1/4 c. shortening
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cardamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
2 packages active dry yeast
1/2 c. warm water (110-115)
6 1/2 c. sifted alll-purpose flour
*Scald milk; stir in pumpkin, shortening, sugar, salt and spices.
* Sprinkle yeast on warm water; stir to dissolve.
* Add 3 c. flour, milk mixture and eggs to yeast. Beat with electric mixer at
medium speed 2 minutes, scrapping the bowl occasionally. Or beat by hand
until batter is smooth.
* Mix in enough remaining flour, a little at a time, first with spoon and then
with hands, to make a dough that leaves the sides of the bowl.
* Turn onto lightly floured board. Knead until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10
minutes. Place in lightly greased bowl and turn dough over t ogrease top. Cover
and let rise in warm place until doubled, 1 to 1 1/2 hourss. Punch down. Turn
onto board, divide in half and round up to make 2 balls. Shape in loaves and
place in 2 greased 9 x 5x3 " loaf pans. Brush tops of leaves with melted butter.
Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 50 minutes.
* Bake in moderate oven (375) about 35 minutes, or until bread tests done.
Spiced Pumpkin Raisin Bread: Stir 11/2 c. seedless raisins into batter before
adding second portion of flour wwith spoon and hands when making Golden Pumpkin