Big Island Macadamia Nut Shortbread CookiesFrom HOLUALOA INN
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:10 minutes
At Holualoa Inn on the Big Island, our chef, Crystal, gathers macadamia nuts from trees on the estate, dries and cracks them to prepare these most delicious cookies for our guests.
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick butter, unsalted
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups all - purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pulse macadamia nuts in food processor until finely ground.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together nuts, sugar, butter and salt.
- Mix in flour until just incorporated.
- Shape dough into a long rectangle, approx. 16” by 2” by 1”.
- Wrap in parchment paper and refrigerate for one hour or more.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut dough into squares and lay on cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cooling rack.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave or double boiler
- Dip bottom half of cookie and let set.
- Garnish with additional macadamia nuts, if desired.
- Eat and enjoy!