Chocolate-Almond Torte with Almond MacaroonsFrom HARTSTONE INN & HIDEAWAY
1/4 cup crushed Almond Macaroons (recipe below)
2 Tablespoons coarsely chopped toasted almonds
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
Pinch kosher salt
1/2 cup (4 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (8 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 large eggs
4 large scoops vanilla ice cream
8 Almond Macaroons (recipe below)
4 sprigs fresh mint
20 whole almonds, halved for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter 4 (1 1/2 cup) soufflé cups and place a small round of buttered parchment in the bottom of each.
- Combine the almond macaroons, almonds, cocoa powder and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process until it is ground to a fine meal.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a small “microwave safe” glass bowl and melt in the microwave, stirring it every 20 seconds, until it is completely melted.
- Add the sugar, almond extract and eggs to the food processor and mix until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and mix until smooth.
- Divide the cake mixture between the prepared soufflé cups and place on a cookie sheet. Bake in the center of the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool the ramekins on a cooling rack. After 10 minutes, flip each cake out into your hand and remove the parchment paper. The tortes can be prepared up to 3 days in advance and kept refrigerated until needed.
- Warm the cake slightly before serving. Place the tortes off center on the plates and add a large scoop of vanilla ice cream. Garnish with the almond macaroons, mint and halved almonds.
Almond Macaroons (makes 15 cookies)
1 pound almond paste (about 1 cup)
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, whites only
Granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the almond paste in a food processor with the sugar. Process until well blended. While the food processor is on, add the egg whites gradually and blend until well combined.
- Line a cookie sheet with a Silpat mat or parchment paper. Make balls with a #40 ice cream scoop and place about 2 inches apart on the lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the cookies lightly with the granulated sugar and bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and cool on the sheet. Use a spatula to remove the cookies from the sheet.