Seafood Panzanella SaladFrom HARTSTONE INN & HIDEAWAY
2 pounds seafood of your choice (lobster, crab, shrimp, mussels, tuna, etc.)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
1/4 cup, plus 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 ripe tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
2 cups cubed bread (use rustic country-style bread without the crust and cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
1 cup fresh basil leaves
6 basil sprigs for garnish
- Clean and cook the seafood using any method you desire. You can grill, poach, steam or sauté the seafood; just be careful to not overcook it. The other option is to buy seafood that is already cooked for you like crabmeat and shrimp to simplify this recipe.
- Once you have your 2 pounds of seafood, free of shell and bones, cut any large pieces (like a whole lobster tail) into more manageable pieces. Drizzle the seafood with the lemon juice, the parsley, 2 Tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Toss gently to coat and refrigerate until service.
- Make the balsamic vinaigrette by whisking together the remaining olive oil, the balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Core the tomatoes and cut into 1/2-inch wedges. Cut the wedges in half to create uniform chunks of tomatoes and mix together with the sliced onion and cubed bread. Tear the basil into small pieces and add to the tomato mixture along with the vinaigrette. Toss well to coat.
- To serve, make a small ring of the tomato mixture on each plate and fill the center with the seafood. Garnish with the basil sprig and serve.