Executive Chef Ferguson's Scones RecipeFrom GOODSTONE INN & RESTAURANT
Cooking Time:15 minutes
What could be better on a brisk wintery day than a hot cup of tea and a home-made scone . . . or two? Goodstone’s Executive Chef Patrick Ferguson has shared his fabulous recipe below!
If you can’t visit our VA B&B to enjoy an afternoon cup of tea by the Carriage House fireplace, you’ll need to don an apron and make this recipe at home!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1 egg
Handful dried currants, blueberries or diced apples tossed in cinnamon (preference is yours)
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix well. Cut in butter and shortening.
3. In a separate bowl, combine cream with beaten egg then add to dry ingredients. Stir in fruit.
4. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Roll dough out and cut into squares then cut in half or if you have a cookie ring you could use that as well. Bake for 15 minutes or until brown. This recipe should yield about a dozen orders.