Chesapeake Soft Shell CrabsFrom GOODSTONE INN & RESTAURANT
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cooking Time:30 minutes
Enjoy this wonderful recipe from Goodstone Inn & Restaurant's award-winning Executive Chef Wiilaim Walden.
- 4 fresh soft shell crabs (swimming and alive!)
- 4 Tablespoons Toasted almond flour for dredging
- 1 container Maryland jumbo lump crabmeat for stuffing (optional)
- 1 bunch Fresh broccoli rabe (garden fresh)
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS: Minced garlic, olive oil (EVOO), minced shallots, butter, heavy cream, champagne vinegar, whole grain mustard, white wine
For the Crabs:
1. Snip and clean crabs and remove the lungs. Set aside on a dry towel to absorb excess moisture.
2. Carefully clean the jumbo lump crabmeat discarding any shells.
3. Quickly sauté the crabmeat in a little brown butter with shallots and a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Reserve.
4. Warm: Dredge the crabs in the toasted almond flour and sauté them in a skillet until “just cooked” turning only once. Carefully lift the top shell of each crab and “stuff” with the sautéed crabmeat. Reserve warm.
For the Broccoli Rabe:
1. Blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds and shock in ice water. Drain thoroughly!
2. In a “fiery” hot skillet, stir fry with the garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Remove at once onto two serving plates as a “bed” for the crabs.
For the Sauce:
1. Reduce one cup of white wine with the remaining shallots and two tablespoons of champagne vinegar until heavily dissolved. Add 1/4 cup of heavy cream and reduce.
2. Remove from heat and whisk in chilled butter cut cubes. Season to taste and add about one tablespoon of whole grain mustard.
Organize the crabs on their bed of broccoli rabe and top with the sauce. Bon Appetit!