This fall inspired accompaniment is great with Grilled or Roasted Pork! Use local apples for the best flavor. Tart apples, like granny smiths are better to use as they compliment the sweet flavor of the cabbage and reduced apple cider.
1/2 head Green Cabbage, Shredded
1/2 ea Onion, Thinly Sliced
2 ea Garlic Cloves, minced
1 cup Apple Cider
3 ea Granny Smith Apples, peeled and diced
1/2 t thyme leaves
to taste Salt and Pepper
- In a large sauté pan, add 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat, add the onions and cook until soft with no color, about 3 minutes
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, with no color.
- Add the cabbage and cook until soft.
- Add the apple cider and cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the apples and the thyme leaves, and cook until the apples are soft, but not mushy.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper.