Chestnut Hill's Sunrise Grand Mariner French ToastFrom CHESTNUT HILL BED & BREAKFAST
- 3/4 cup half & half or light cream
- 4 large organic free range eggs
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur
- 2 tablespoons fine granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 3/4-inch-thick slices of French bread
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- Confectioner's sugar for garnish (optional)
- Pure Virginia maple syrup
Whisk first 6 ingredients together in a medium bowl. Soak each bread slice in the egg mixture and arrange in 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Pour remaining egg mixture evenly over bread. Allow to stand until egg mixture is absorbed (at least 20 minutes.) (May be prepared 1 day ahead.) Cover and refrigerate.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add 4 bread slices to skillet and sauté until cooked through and golden brown, approximately 3 minutes on each side. Repeat cooking with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and 4 bread slices.
Sift powdered sugar over each slice. Serve with maple syrup and garnish with a twisted orange slice