Dried Cranberry SconesFrom BROOKSIDE MANOR BED & BREAKFAST
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time:15-20 minutes
Dried cranberrys and orange zest make a delightful scone
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup margarine or butter (I use butter)
- t tsp orange zest (optional)
Ingredients are listed in order of addition.
1. Combine first 5 ingredients in bowl and mix until mixture looks like crumbs.
2.Add the next two ingredients and mix until dry ingredients are moistened.
3. Gather dough into ball and knead lightly twelve times on lightly flour surface.
4. Divide dough into 4 pieces.
5. Pat each section into a circle 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
6. Cut each circle into 6 pie wedge pieces.
7. Transfer to baking sheet. I keep each circle together on baking sheet.
8. Brush each scone with:
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon milk or cream (I use skim milk)
9. Bake at 400 F, 15-20 minutes. Oven temperatures vary! Cooking time is based using gas oven and REMA baking sheet.