Susan's crustless breakfast bakeFrom BLUE MOON FARM PRIVATE COTTAGE
SPACIOUS AND REFINED ACCOMMODATIONS FOR TWO
12 cups trimmed fresh spinach leaves
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup chopped peeled shallots
3 plum tomatoes
1 cup milk
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon dried bread crumbs
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Rinse the spinach well and place it in a large saucepan with just the water that clings to the leaves. Place the saucepan over low heat, and stir to wilt the spinach, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain well squeezing out excess moisture. Chop coarsely, set aside.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet and saute shallots over medium-low heat until translucent, 5 minutes, set aside.
- Halve tomatoes and squeeze, releasing and discarding the seeds and juice. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, Jack cheese, dill, lemon zest, salt, pepper. Stir in the reserved spinach, tomatoes and shallots.
- Thoroughly butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Add the filling and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- Bake until golden, 25 minutes. Let the quiche stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 172 calories, 10.5 g protein, 9 g carbohydrate, 3.5 g fiber, 12 g fat, 100 mg cholesterol, 445 mg sodium.