Sky High BiscuitsFrom BLUE GULL INN BED & BREAKFAST
You can make these and shape them ahead of time, then bake and serve hot from the oven.
Oven at 450 degrees
Bake 12-15 minutes
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour (or 2 cups Regular Flour/1 cup Whole Wheat Flour)
- 4 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 3/4 cup Butter or Margarine
- 1 Egg; beaten
- 1 cup Milk (Low or Non-fat are ok)
1. In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar.
2. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
A food processor works great for this.
3. Add egg and milk, stirring quickly and briefly. Knead lightly on floured board.
4. Roll or pat gently to 1-inch thickness. Cut 1-2 inch biscuits. Place in a greased cast iron skillet or in a square pan.
For crusty biscuits, separate on a cookie sheet.
Makes about 20