Bass Cottage PotatoesFrom BASS COTTAGE INN
Cooking Time:25 minutes
- 1⁄2 red pepper diced
- 1 T paprika (Hungarian Half-Sharp preferred)
- 2 lbs. russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, 1⁄2-inch cube, skin on
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 6 T butter
- 1⁄2 green pepper diced
- Salt, celery salt, pepper, Tabasco to taste
- Fresh parsley and or fresh lovage leaves, minced (for garnish)
Maine is known for the lovely potato, which was a mainstay for the settlers and today for hungry carbohydrate lovers everywhere. We serve these hearty potatoes as an accompaniment to almost any omelet or quiche here at the Inn. This recipe, based on a James Beard recipe, is Jeff’s specialty and he loves them a little zingy. You can moderate the spices to suit your taste. Give them a try and you’ll be able to climb Cadillac Mountain in a single bound!
Boil potatoes for five minutes and drain. Do not overcook or the result will be too mushy. Sauté onion and peppers in butter until soft. Mix potatoes, onion/pepper/butter mixture and spices and place in oiled baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees until lightly golden, approximately 25 minutes.