(Serves 12 or more)
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 T cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare 10 X13 or two 8 inch cake pans with canola spray.
- Pour boiling water over oatmeal in small bowl, let it cool and stand while mixing other ingredients.
- Cream butter gradually adding sugars and continue to cream.
- Add eggs one at a time until well beaten.
- Mix flour and all other dry ingredients together.
- Add flour mixture alternately with oatmeal mixture and end with flour mixture added last.
- Bake in pan or pans for 30 minutes
1 T water
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 cup coconut
1 cup slivered almonds
- Place water, butter and brown sugar in pan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat and boil one minute.
- Add coconut.
- Pour over top of cake while still hot/warm.
- Sprinkle almonds over coconut topping.
- Preheat oven to broil and place cake back in with toppings BUT lower down rack level to keep from burning.
- Watch carefully, broil until toasty brown. Serves 12 or more.